Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police Blotter: 28 Mar 2011



Police Blotter: 28 Mar 2011

Police Blotter: 28 Mar 2011

Former military police officer steals taxi
Banteay Meanchey provincial military police on Friday arrested a 28-year-old man on suspicion of stealing a taxi from Kampong Speu province. Police said that a taxi driver parked his car in front of a food shop to have breakfast on Friday. The suspect, identified as a former military police officer in Kampong Speu province, drove off in the taxi as the owner was eating breakfast and fled to Banteay Meanchey province, police said. He was arrested there by military police while attempting to sell the car.
KAMPUCHEA THMEY

Food vendor accused of robbing soldier
A 27-year-old food vendor from Phnom Penh was arrested after being accused of stealing property and a gun from her boyfriend, a Royal Cambodian Armed Forces soldier, last week in Oddar Meanchey province’s Anlong Veng district. Police said the boyfriend, a 49-year-old soldier, spent a night with the woman at a guest house, after which she stole US$180 in cash, a mobile phone and a K54 handgun and turned the items over to a suspected accomplice. Police sent the suspect to provincial court and are looking for her accomplice, who remains at large.
KAMPUCHEA THMEY

Laptop lending ends in severe injuries
A 20-year-old university student was arrested on Thursday after an argument she had the day before with a fellow student ended in violence in Phnom Penh’s Tuol Kork district. According to police, the suspect borrowed her friend’s laptop and returned it the same day. However, when the friend tried to turn it on, she found that it didn’t work and attacked the suspect with a knife. A struggle ensued, and the owner of the laptop was injured. The suspect fled but was arrested the next day. Police are preparing documents to send her to Phnom Penh Municipal Court.
KAMPUCHEA THMEY

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year