Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Breaking: Final NEC commune elections results released




Breaking: Final NEC commune elections results released

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Election officials spill ballots to begin counting earlier this month at Boeung Kengkong School, a polling station in Phnom Penh. Heng Chivoan

Breaking: Final NEC commune elections results released

The final results from the National Election Committee for the June 4 commune elections show the Cambodian People’s Party taking 1,156 communes to the Cambodia National Rescue Party’s 489 communes, ending the more than month-long local election process.

While the NEC is announcing the results province-by-province on state broadcaster TVK this morning, a NEC document released by the station’s outgoing director Kem Gunawadh shows the final tally to be close to preliminary results released by the NEC shortly after the June 4 ballot.

Only a few communes changed hands during the recount process. A Facebook post from NEC member Rong Chhun shows the CPP to have received around half of the ballots cast during the elections, or 50.76 percent to the CNRP’s 43.83 percent.

Both the ruling and opposition parties have attempted to present the results as a victory, with the CPP retaining a significant majority at the commune level and the CNRP making improvements on 2012. The results show the CPP winning more than twice the CNRP’s count, down from its commanding tally of 1,592 of 1,632 communes in the June 2012 commune elections.

The CNRP drastically improved on the 40 communes it won in 2012, when it contested separately as the Sam Rainsy Party and Human Rights Party. The CPP will have 6,503 council seats across the country’s 1,646 communes, with the CNRP taking 5,007 seats.

A previous version of this article stated that the Cambodia National Rescue Party won 498 communes. The correct figure is 489. The Post apologises for any confusion caused.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said