Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Jailbreak to make its debut on Netflix

Jailbreak to make its debut on Netflix

Sisowath Siriwudd on set during a shoot in July 2016.
Sisowath Siriwudd on set during a shoot in July 2016. Athena Zelandonii

Jailbreak to make its debut on Netflix

Jailbreak, the genre-busting Cambodian film that opened last year to critical acclaim both at home and abroad has earned another honour: Come Wednesday, the film will be making its Netflix debut.

Jailbreak is the first Cambodian film to be acquired by the streaming giant, after it produced Angelina Jolie’s locally filmed First They Killed My Father last year.

The road to the platform was a long one, said French-Cambodian producer Loy Te of Kongchak Productions. The team first approached Netflix a year ago at the Cannes Film Festival, and the resulting negotiations lasted for months.

“I’m really excited,” said Loy. “Coming from where the whole project started, I didn’t think we’d ever reach this milestone.”

Read more: Action flick Jailbreak shatters local movie norms

He was not the only one to have his doubts. Loy said there was no shortage of film industry people telling them “it’s never going to work”.

People simply didn’t think a film that fell outside of the horror-comedy realm – a genre that dominates Cambodian cinemas – could make it off the ground. And, in terms of gaining attention abroad, many doubted that a film that didn’t feature a Khmer Rouge storyline would have mass appeal for international audiences.

Jailbreak has proved the naysayers wrong on both counts.

Reflecting further on what the Netflix acquisition means for the Cambodian film industry as a whole, Loy said: “I think it shows our industry can be strong enough to dare to do new genre projects . . . It’s huge.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will