Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Suncity links up with Golden Sun Sky for S’ville resort project



Suncity links up with Golden Sun Sky for S’ville resort project

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Construction projects are shown near Sihanoukville’s city centre earlier this week. Heng Chivoan

Suncity links up with Golden Sun Sky for S’ville resort project

Hong Kong-listed Suncity Group has entered into a strategic partnership agreement with Cambodian firm Golden Sun Sky Entertainment in a project to build an integrated resort in Sihanoukville. Suncity said the capital investment for the project is $360 million.

A filing at the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited (HKEX) on Wednesday said the partnership is aimed at providing consultancy and management services for the resort on 650,000 square metres. It aims to be completed by the end of next year.

“The directors believe that the partnership will expand our footprint in Cambodia, in addition to aiding integrated resort projects in Vietnam,” Suncity’s chairman Chau Cheok Wa said.

Last month, Suncity announced it had fully acquired Vietnamese resort developer Star Admiral Limited.

Golden Sun Sky was registered with the Kingdom’s Ministry of Commerce in March last year and works in the hotel and resort sector. According to registration documents, the firm operates out of Sihanoukville’s village 6.

The phone number given for Seng Thaileng, the firm’s chairman was not operating on Thursday when called by a reporter.

Preah Sihanouk provincial governor Yun Min said on Thursday that he knew about the project, but couldn’t give the exact location of where it would be built.

Min said there are currently 30 resorts and 40 casinos in the province, the majority of which are funded by Chinese investors. He said the recent interest in the province is bringing in new job opportunities and boosting business activities.

“More tourists and investors bring more money, but also more issues,” said Min, acknowledging that the inflow of Chinese tourists and investors has driven up land prices, accommodation costs, and is negatively affecting local tourists.

“We just hope that in the near future when more hotels and guesthouse are built to fit demand, it will help to bring down prices,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting