Controversy stalks the North Korean community

Controversy stalks the North Korean community

Siem Reap is home to North Korea’s first overseas museum, a $15 million tribute to Angkor set in a Khmer-style building which is not yet open to the public.

Last year, our sister newspaper The Phnom Penh Post was the first media outlet to see the interior which houses hundreds of paintings by North Korean artists and a floor-to-ceiling panorama of the Angkor temple complex.

Although construction began in August 2011, the doors have still not opened and the car park has not been built.

The operations manager, who gave his name only as Kim, said the museum would open in three or four months, and blamed the delay on the unfinished car park and ticketing booth.

But sources within the South Korean community say the slow progress is due to the plan to build an information centre about the temples, which has caused a rift with the Apsara authority, which manages the complex.

But then controversy constantly surrounds the North Korean community in Siem Reap. Since the end of the Korean War in 1953, there has been an uneasy peace between North and South.

In 2010, tension increased between the two communities in Siem Reap after a North Korean submarine sank a South Korean navy ship near the disputed inter-Korean maritime border. More than 40 sailors were killed.

At the time, there was friction between South Korean expatriates and North Korean overseas workers, including dozens of engineers involved in the development of the Panorama Museum.

According to a local businessman, the chairman of the Korean Association placed a banner in front of Pyongyang Restaurant saying: ‘Eat the cold noodles and they will come back as a bullet.’

“There were no guests at all in the restaurant,” said the businessman. “The South Koreans didn’t go, and they tried to attract Japanese and Chinese but they couldn’t open.”

In the end, the restaurant was closed down for six months until the diplomatic fallout started to subside.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked