Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Foreigner ‘hid dead body’



Foreigner ‘hid dead body’

Foreigner ‘hid dead body’

A Spanish man who kept the rotting corpse of a British acquaintance in his house for more than three weeks had a murder charge against him dropped yesterday.

Ricardo Blundell Perez, 40, was charged with intentional murder after police found the body of John Peter Connell, 43, in his Daun Penh district apartment on August 11 last year.

During his trial yesterday at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court, Perez denied he had murdered Connell, instead saying he “died from his own disease”.

He said he had known Connell for two days before he died on July 17 last year. The pair had been drinking that day, but at around 3pm, Perez and another Spaniard went out and left Connell alone, he told the court.

“When I returned home about 4pm, I saw John Peter Connell was sitting and sleeping on a chair.

“After showering, I called to him but he did not reply to me or wake up … when I went to wake him up, I saw that he was dead. I was in serious shock.

“I then packaged his body with plastic, covered him with blankets and put [him on] a tarpaulin to keep his body inside my room.”

Perez said he did not report the death to police because he feared being arrested. He said he was staying illegally in Cambodia. Police raided the house weeks later after Perez’s landlord detected the smell of Connell’s decomposing body.

Loeuk Um, who conducts autopsies for the Phnom Penh police, said that Connell died from a drug overdose.

Um Sopheak, a deputy prosecutor, said that as a result of that information and Perez’s testimony, he changed the charge to “hiding a body”.

A conviction on the new charge carries a jail term of between six months and two years.

A verdict is due to be handed down on December 17.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants