Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Gov’t gets plaudits for drop in underage sex workers



Gov’t gets plaudits for drop in underage sex workers

Gov’t gets plaudits for drop in underage sex workers

The International Justice Mission (IJM) yesterday lauded Cambodia’s progress in tackling the child sex trade but stressed more needed to be done, including authorising police to use undercover investigation techniques.

Launching the IJM’s recent study on the child sex trade, which suggested the prevalence of underage sex workers in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Sihanoukville has fallen 73 per cent between 2012 and 2015, IJM field office director Christa Sharpe proposed a raft of improvements to improve counter-trafficking efforts.

Among the recommendations – which included increased funding for officers and social workers – was addressing legislation that prohibits using audio and video recordings of private conversations as evidence in court.

Although used by officers in the past, a 2010 revision of the penal code criminalised recording people without their consent.

Police still use undercover techniques such as surveillance, but Sharpe said there was confusion surrounding the admissibility of recordings in court.

Although a conference held in 2013 sought to address the issue, and the Interior Ministry last year prepared guidelines for its officers to use the techniques, the Ministry of Justice has so far failed to propose a way forward.

Given that increased pressure is driving child prostitution further underground, Sharpe said it was vital that police investigating trafficking could use more sophisticated techniques, which also reduce the need for victims to testify in court.

“After two years of research and deliberations, IJM urges the Ministry of Justice to find a solution for anti-trafficking police and prosecutors quickly so they can respond to real needs and real case of victims who are crying out for help and need the justice system to solve this problem,” she said, suggesting the Ministry of Justice set up a technical working group.

Ith Rady, an undersecretary of state at ministry, addressed members of the government and civil society at the same Phnom Penh event, saying more time was needed to study the impact of such a move.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants