Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Record 8,550 to take part in Angkor Wat half-marathon



Record 8,550 to take part in Angkor Wat half-marathon

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The biggest ever field is expected for this year’s Angkor Wat half-marathon. Photo supplied

Record 8,550 to take part in Angkor Wat half-marathon

The ever growing popularity of the Angkor Wat International half marathon globally is well reflected in this year’s all-time record entries as the annual charity run for glory comes under starter’s orders at the world-famous temple complex at the first break of light tomorrow morning.

Less than 250 runners from 14 countries took part in the inaugural run in 1996, but 19 years on the number is likely to reach a staggering 8,500, nearly half of whom will be overseas competitors drawn from 75 countries, with the rest locals, students and visitors from other provinces.

The rush of excitement and enthusiasm for the milestone 20th edition has been unprecedented for what is truly an international event, albeit one that offers no purse but the pride of participating in a run for charity through one of the world’s most inspiring architectural achievements.

Jointly organised by the Khmer Amateur Athletics Federation, the National Olympic Committee of Cambodia and Angkor Wat Marathon Executive committee,  the half-marathon day’s long card  is crammed with several other attractions like a wheelchair race, a run for the handicapped, a 10-kilometre event for men and women and a three-kilometre fun run for families.

It is a measure of its stature that runners from every continent will be represented when the field is sent on its way for the 21-kilometre winding trip around the Angkor Wat complex.

 “It is a striking improvement in numbers this year. As many as 7,100 took part in the various events last year, and we expect that figure to be around 8,500 this year by the time the trigger is pulled for the start at 6am,” secretary-general of NOCC, Vath Chamroeun told Post Weekend yesterday.

Over the last 20 years a huge amount of money has been raised for social causes and the introduction a few years ago of a pledge system has brought in more donations.

The proceeds of this event will go to such charitable institutions as the Cambodian Red Cross and CMAC, the organisation dedicated to the clearing of landmines in the Kingdom, as well as many other NGOs promoting social causes.

The Chinese pair of Zhan Donglin (men) and Wang Xiujie (women) who took the honours in the inaugural event, still hold the record for the fastest times to this day. Zhan’s 1:05:19, Wang’s 1:12:27 and the stunning backdrop will no doubt inspire serious contenders to go for it that much harder.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro