Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tears, anger greet City Hall’s resolution for Borei Keila evictees




Tears, anger greet City Hall’s resolution for Borei Keila evictees

Tears, anger greet City Hall’s resolution for Borei Keila evictees

Borei Keila residents reacted with outrage yesterday when City Hall announced only 34 of 154 displaced families will get on-site housing in the community, following a reassessment of the land dispute victims’ claims.

In scenes similar to those in March, when the municipality, in its first assessment, announced just 26 families could stay at Borei Keila, the majority of residents expressed dismay at being told to relocate to what they consider poor quality housing on the city’s outskirts.

Eighty-five claimants were told they could either move to Por Sen Chey district’s Andong village or take $5,000 in compensation. A further 34 were simply offered $3,000 in compensation.

Pouk Sophin, 45, burst into tears upon finding out she wouldn’t be given a house where she had lived since 1997.

“I’ve been waiting four years; the announcement is not justice and not acceptable,” she said.

Ath Samnang, 32, said the homes in Andong were unfit for living and demanded $14,000 in compensation. “I live at Borei Keila since I was a naked child until I married … now I am living in a tent camp near a rubbish site,” she said.

Residents were evicted en masse from the community in January 2012 when the government gave a 4.6-hectare site to developer Phan Imex.

Phan Imex had been required under its contract with City Hall to build 10 buildings on two-hectares of the land to accommodate the more than 1,700 displaced families but built only eight, housing almost 1,400 families, but prompting protests from those left without homes.

Residents seeking on-site housing at Borei Keila had to be able to prove they had lived there for a significant period before 2003.

City Hall spokesman Long Dimanche said those who missed out did not have the necessary documents, but said villagers had 30 days to appeal.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said