Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Union boss vows to carry on



Union boss vows to carry on

Union boss vows to carry on

A union leader charged with violence and destroying property during garment protests that ended with security forces shooting at least five people dead on January 3 has vowed to ignore a court order not to engage in union activity.

Pav Sina, president of the Collective Union of Movement of Workers, appeared in Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday over the incident at Veng Sreng Boulevard. Sina had said that his union members would strike and hold protests if he was arrested.

“Although I was prohibited by court from meeting with workers, organising or leading any demonstration, I will not stop,” Sina told journalists outside the court.

He said he would participate in a nationwide union campaign for a $177 per month minimum wage to begin on Wednesday, which has been declared a global day of action to demand a living wage for all garment workers.

Investigative judge Chea Sokheang said that Sina had been charged with intentional violence in aggravating circumstances, insulting authorities, intentional damage and threats to damage and make an obstacle to traffic in front of Canadia Industrial Park.

Another five union leaders have also been charged and summonsed over the protests.

Dave Welsh, country director of labour rights group Solidarity Center, said the timing of the charges was “extremely suspicious”, coming during a crucial period in wage negotiations.

“The allegations . . . have nothing to do with incitement and [Sina] wasn’t physically there at the time,” he said.

“It’s purely political and timed to intimidate.”

Additional reporting Will Jackson.

MOST VIEWED

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration