Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - UXO casualties ‘down by 38%’



UXO casualties ‘down by 38%’

UXO casualties ‘down by 38%’

Cambodia reported 44 casualties related to landmines and explosive remnants of war in the first four months of 2015, a 38 per cent fall from the same period last year.

In its monthly report for April 2015 posted yesterday, the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA) noted that six people were killed and 29 were injured (with nine requiring amputations) from January to April. During the same period last year, 10 people died and 43 were injured (with 18 requiring amputations).

At least two more have been killed since the start of May.

Chhiv Lim of the CMAA said that the decrease in casualties could be attributed to greater awareness and education efforts by the Cambodian government.

He added that the government has increased mine education funds, though casualties are expected to rise in the coming months due to people preparing their land for the rainy season. “Before the rain, the number of casualties usually increases,” he said.

The report said that from 1979 to April 2015, landmines and unexploded ordnance had killed 19,711 people. Additionally, 35,833 had been injured, while 8,968 required amputations.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Full country reopening to be decided in two weeks

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced that if the Covid-19 situation remains stable for 15 consecutive days from the end of the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, Cambodia will reopen fully, albeit in the context of Covid-19 whereby people have to adjust their lives to

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Hun Sen: Cambodia set to fully reopen

    Prime Minister Hun Sen concludes that the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, during which many people either flocked to their hometowns for family reunion or gathered at tourist attractions across the country, has not caused an outbreak of Covid-19. In a special address to

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Phnom Penh governor: Show Covid-19 vaccination cards, or else

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng late on October 5 issued a directive requiring all people aged 18 and over and the parents of children aged 6-17 to produce Covid-19 vaccination cards when entering schools, markets, malls, marts, eateries and other business establishments that have been permitted