Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Villagers in the dark over dam relocation



Villagers in the dark over dam relocation

Villagers in the dark over dam relocation

Communities living close to the Lower Sesan II dam site in Stung Treng province have called on the government to publicly disclose what compensation they will receive.

Logging continues as the area is cleared ahead of construction, but those who will be forced to leave their homes are being kept in the dark about when that will happen or where they will be moved to.

The 400-megawatt dam is being built under a joint venture between the Royal Group and Chinese state-owned Hydrolancang International Energy. Electricity Vietnam International (EVNI) sold its stake in the project in 2012.

According to a report released yesterday by the NGO Forum, villagers are concerned that relocation site standards previously promised by EVNI would now not be delivered, given that no company officials have met with families about compensation since EVNI’s exit.

“They remain concerned about the new locations because they do not know where they are. They only know that one family will receive one house with a land area of 50mx100m, five hectares of rice fields and one hectare of plantation,” the report says.

Tea Chup, an undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Environment, acknowledged that there had been a lack of communication between the authorities, the companies and villagers, but did not specify when more compensation details would be made public.​ “Some villages must relocate, so the company has to build a new village, new houses and infrastructure like hospitals, roads and wells,” he said.

“We are not doing development to make people poorer.”

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Delta spreading in Kingdom

    Cambodia has so far detected more than 200 cases of the highly contagious coronavirus Delta variant, with 109 found on July 31 and August 1. The Ministry of Health has expressed deep concerns that the variant may have already reached communities and be spreading as some of the cases

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four