Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Alonso to retire from Formula One at the end of the season



Alonso to retire from Formula One at the end of the season

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
McLaren driver Fernando Alonso waits for the start of the Hungarian Grand Prix on July 30, 2017. Fernando Alonso will retire from Formula 1 at the end of the season, the Spaniard announced on Tuesday. AFP

Alonso to retire from Formula One at the end of the season

Two-time world champion Fernando Alonso announced on Tuesday that he will retire from Formula One at the end of the season after his recent struggles with underachieving McLaren.

The 37-year-old Spaniard – who has 32 Grand Prix wins to his credit in 17 seasons – has become increasingly disenchanted with Formula One as the once all-powerful McLaren team have fallen way off the pace.

Alonso – who in 2005 became the youngest ever Formula One world champion while driving for Renault before defending his title the following year – has garnered 44 points this season and is ninth in the drivers’ championship.

Alonso went on to drive for McLaren for a year in 2007 followed by a return to Renault and then four years at Ferrari, before beginning his second spell with McLaren in 2015.

“I have seen you [Formula One] changing, sometimes for good, others, in my opinion, for bad,” said Alonso, who on three occasions finished runner-up in the drivers’ championship while at Ferrari.

“And this year, while still driving at my best, is how I want to remember you.”

Alonso, whose best finish for Mc-Laren so far was 10th in 2016, said he would carry on endeavouring to finish with a flourish.

“After 17 wonderful years in this amazing sport, it’s time for me to make a change and move on,” Alonso said in a statement.

“There are still several grands prix to go this season, and I will take part in them with more commitment and passion than ever.”

He left the door slightly ajar, saying in a statement posted on the McLaren website he could return when it is “the right moment for me to be back in the series”, but the personal message on his Twitter account sounded like a farewell.

Alonso, whose first win came in the 2003 Hungarian Grand Prix but who hasn’t won since the Spanish Grand Prix five years ago, says new challenges await.

‘Exploring new adventures’

The former Ferrari star is known to be keen to complete the “Triple Crown” of world Formula One champion, winning the 24 Hour Le Mans race and the Indy500 – he has achieved the first two of those aims.

“Let’s see what the future brings – new exciting challenges are around the corner,” said Alonso.

“I’m having one of the happiest times ever in my life, but I need to go on exploring new adventures.”

McLaren – whose unpopular racing director Eric Boullier resigned in early July – issued a statement bordering on a eulogy to the Spaniard.

“Fernando is not only an outstanding ambassador for McLaren but also for Formula 1,” said Zak Brown, McLaren Racing’s chief executive, in a statement.

“His 17 years in the sport, as arguably the pre-eminent driver of his generation and undoubtedly an F1 great, have added another layer to Formula 1’s rich history.

“There is a time for everyone to make a change, and Fernando has decided the end of this season to be his.”

During his F1 career, Alonso has also claimed 22 pole positions and 97 podium finishes.

In a heartfelt address, Alonso spoke of his lifelong love of Formula One in a “letter” to the sport posted on his Instagram account.

“When I barely knew how to walk, I ran straight towards your noise, your circuits, without knowing anything about you,” he said.

“We had very good times, some unforgettable, others really bad. We have played together against incredible rivals. You played with me and I learned how to play with you too.

“Every time I close my visor on my helmet, I feel your warm embrace, your energy, there is nothing like it.

“But today, I have some other bigger challenges than those you can offer me.”

Among those in the frame to replace Alonso is British teenager Lando Norris, who serves as McLaren’s reserve driver.

MOST VIEWED

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration