Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Battle commences for ‘King of Chess’ crown



Battle commences for ‘King of Chess’ crown

Players compete in the national heat of the 2017 King of Chess competition in Phnom Penh last year.
Players compete in the national heat of the 2017 King of Chess competition in Phnom Penh last year.

Battle commences for ‘King of Chess’ crown

The start of a two-month search for Cambodia’s 2018 “King of Chess” to be coronated at the Angkor Sangran Khmer New Year festival begins today as regional heats start across the Kingdom.

Cambodia’s 24 provinces and Phnom Penh are divided into seven “centres”, where contenders will battle it out across three competitive stages to see which of eight Khmer chess players will make it to Angkor Wat over the New Year festivities for the final fight for the crown.

General-secretary of the Cambodia Chess Federation Chheav Bora, himself the King of Chess in 2014 and 2015, told The Post: “This year, there are three stages – the candidates will compete in their regional centre in the first stage, before qualifying for the national competition in Phnom Penh. The eight qualifiers from this competition will progress to the final stage at Angkor Wat over the Khmer New Year celebrations.”

The current King of Chess is Sao Heng from Kandal province, who will be out to see off all pretenders to his crown when he begins his title defence this year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year