Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Blame me, says Patriots coach Belichick

Blame me, says Patriots coach Belichick

New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick to the media after losing 41-33 to the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl 52 at US Bank Stadium.
New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick to the media after losing 41-33 to the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl 52 at US Bank Stadium.

Blame me, says Patriots coach Belichick

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick blamed coaching mistakes for his team’s upset Super Bowl loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday.

The most successful coach in Super Bowl history was left shellshocked after the Eagles conjured up one of the great performances to win 41-33.

Belichick, who had been aiming to win his sixth Lombardi Trophy with the Patriots, pinpointed a lacklustre first half when New England had been unable to put more points on the board.

“Obviously we didn’t do a good enough job coaching, missed a lot of opportunities offensively in the first half, didn’t play good enough defence, didn’t play good enough in the kicking game,” Belichick said.

“In the end, we just couldn’t quite make enough plays, and that was all on me. Disappointing, but I’m proud of the way our team competed.”

It was the third time Belichick has tasted defeat in a Super Bowl.

The franchise faces an uncertain future with key members of the coaching staff, Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia, expected to leave for head coaching jobs in the summer.

Belichick, however, insisted that despite the defeat his team could be proud of their season.

“These guys are champions, champions of the AFC. They earned that. We just came up a little bit short,” he said.

“Tough, tough, way to end. There’s a lot of really good things that happened this season, but that’s what this game’s about.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,

  • Gov’t continues China tilt as ties with the US slide on ‘interference’ in Kingdom’s internal affairs

    CHINA has granted some $131 million in aid to the Cambodian military. It comes as yet another sign that the Kingdom is strengthening strategic ties with its Asian neighbour to counter increasingly cold relations with the United States. The aid was announced as part of a