Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bogut’s return to Oz signals goodbye to NBA




Bogut’s return to Oz signals goodbye to NBA

Andrew Bogut has signed a two-year contract with Australian National Basketball League team the Sydney Kings. AFP
Andrew Bogut has signed a two-year contract with Australian National Basketball League team the Sydney Kings. AFP

Bogut’s return to Oz signals goodbye to NBA

Championship-winning centre Andrew Bogut on Tuesday vowed to win games and draw crowds after signing a two-year contract with Australia’s Sydney Kings – a move he said would “retire [him] from the NBA”.

Bogut, 33, one of Australia’s most decorated basketballers, said he was committed to playing at home for the next two seasons, in what the Kings hailed as the biggest signing in NBL history.

“This isn’t an exercise where I’m here to just sell tickets. We want to win games, you know, and sell tickets,” Bogut told reporters in Sydney.

“There is no NBA outs in my deal, there is no European outs. I’m committed to be here for two years and that’s very important to put out there.”

The Kings did not reveal how much they were paying Bogut, but head coach Andrew Gaze – himself a former NBA player and five-time Olympian – described his arrival as the “greatest coup in the history of the NBL”.

The seven-foot (2.13-metre) Bogut, a 13-year NBA veteran, last month said he would not return to the US for the remainder of the 2017-18 season as he wanted to stay in Australia with his pregnant wife.

‘Game changer’

Bogut spent seven seasons with the Milwaukee Bucks from 2005 before being traded to Golden State, the Dallas Mavericks and later Cleveland, where he broke his left leg on his Cavaliers debut.

He signed with the Los Angeles Lakers late this year but was waived by the club in January.

The NBL’s multimillionaire owner, Larry Kestelman, described Bogut’s signing as a “game changer” in his efforts to boost the league since he bought it in 2015 for a reported A$7 million (US$5.3 million).

“This is without a doubt the biggest signing of a player,” Kestelman said. “We started off by changing the rules to allow clubs an easier transition to bring the most valuable and our best players here and there is obviously no better signing than Andrew.”

The announcement comes a month after Victoria state authorities said the US men’s basketball team would play the Australian Boomers in a two-game series in Melbourne in August next year ahead of the FIBA World Cup in China.

The special series at the Etihad Stadium on August 22 and 24 will be the first time the “Dream Team” has played in Australia since the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

MOST VIEWED

  • Without shoes or a helmet, a young cyclist steals the show

    Pech Theara gripped the curved handlebars of his rusty old bike, planted his bare feet on its pedals and stormed as fast as he could towards the finish line. The odds were against him as the 13-year-old faced off against kids with nicer bikes at

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway on schedule

    The construction of the more than $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has not been delayed despite the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 26 per cent of the project completed and expected to finish in about two years, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • PM vows to protect Hun family

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has vowed to continue his fight against opposition politicians who he said intend to smash the Hun family. Without naming the politicians but apparently referring to former leaders of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Hun Sen said there

  • Cambodia lauded for fight against Covid-19

    Cambodia has drawn global accolades for its handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, with a new report finding that the Kingdom has controlled the pandemic better than any other country in Asia. Dr Takeshi Kasai, director of the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) Western Pacific region,