Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bookings bonanza as ugly scenes mar wet draw

Bookings bonanza as ugly scenes mar wet draw

Bookings bonanza as ugly scenes mar wet draw

111010_27b
Vietnam’s Le Xuan Anh (right) slide tackles Wuhan Hong Xiang FC’s Chen Hao on Saturday.

In a no holds barred contest marked by frayed tempers, rough tackles, a dozen yellow cards and two reds, it came as no surprise that two second half penalties cancelled each other out and brought about an abrasive 1-1 draw between Chinese club side Hong Xian FC and Vietnam national U19s in Saturday’s second BIDC Cup match.

No one expected velvet gloves in this opening Group A tie, but few could have anticipated the second half chaos and the unruly scenes that marred a highly combative duel.

The first period was barren and action understandably limited and low key, considering the fact that the two sides had walked on to a sodden pitch that had taken nearly an hour’s soaking from heavy rain. The start of the match itself had been delayed by as many as 40 minutes for the ground staff to work on markings and the pitch to recover from the puddles.

The contest came to a boil in the last 15 minutes. A tackle by Vietnam’s Huynh Tan Tai on Zhang Wei Jun inside the box looked ghastly enough for referee Tuy Vichika of Cambodia to award a penalty for the Wuhan provincial champions. Huang Lei was bang on target with this 76th minute award, which spontaneously triggered passions in both camps.

Vietnam’s equaliser came in extra time, also via the penalty spot. Nguyen Thanh Hien converted the spotkick that came Vietnam’s way after Nguyen Xuan Nam was brought down inside the box by one of the two Hong Xian defenders going for him.

All along it had been a tough game for the referee and his assistants to call and control. Infringements on both sides were frequent and so were bookings.

But the worst for the officials came in the closing stages when a couple of players from both sides were involved in a fracas. There were abuses hurled, pushes and shoves. To add fuel to the fire, three coaching assistants from Hong Xian took an unusually aggressive approach of storming the pitch and engaging the officials in fierce arguments.

The three were ordered out of the arena even as tensions mounted in both camps.

The sides expectedly blamed each other for fomenting trouble. A minute into injury time Chai Lei picked up his second yellow and was forced to leave and two minutes later Zhang Xian got a straight red for lashing his foot out at the referee.

The honours were even and the points split but the Chinese side was left decidedly worse off, having lost two players to red cards and three team officials definitely facing touchline bans.

At the end of this feisty affair, a dozen yellow cards for unsporting behaviour had been dished out, with the six for each team making it look like both deserved equal share of the blame.

An official of the Football Federation of Cambodia, who claimed anonymity, said it was a poor advertisement for the game, stressing that the a report on the conduct of both teams would be placed before the Discipliary Committee of the AFC for further action.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Eighty replacement peacekeepers set for Mali mission despite Covid

    Eighty Cambodian blue helmet soldiers who completed the peacekeeping mission under the UN umbrella in Mali will return to Cambodia on Friday, said the Centre for Peacekeeping Forces spokeswoman Kosal Malida. “To protect their families and communities from the Covid-19 pandemic, the 80 are required to

  • Government set to make up for cancelled April holiday

    The government is set to make up for a five-day Khmer New Year holiday late this month or early next month. The holiday was earlier cancelled due to the onset of Covid-19. The announcement is expected on Friday as the government is studying a range

  • Families told to register for cash handouts

    The government has called on poor families to apply to commune authorities for evaluation to receive financial support during the Covid-19 crisis. A $300 million budget has been planned for implementation within a year. Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth said this