Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Brunei pull out of Cup, Cambodia task tougher

Brunei pull out of Cup, Cambodia task tougher

Brunei pull out of Cup, Cambodia task tougher

afc challenge cup
With the withdrawal of Brunei, Cambodia will need results from their AFC Challenge Cup games against the Philippines and Turkmenistan. Photograph: Sreng Meng Srun/Phnom Penh Post

Cambodia’s hopes of advancing from Group E of the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup qualifiers in the Philippines have taken a heavy blow after Brunei media reported on Wednesday that their national team had pulled out of the four-team tournament.

The Brunei Times stated the Sultanate’s squad would take no part in the qualifiers, scheduled to run from tomorrow to next Tuesday at the Rizal Memorial Stadium in Manila, with Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports permanent secretary Dato Paduka Hj Mohd Hamid Hj Mohd Jaafar quoted as saying it was “due to unavoidable circumstances.”

Cambodia will attempt to win both this afternoon’s game against two-time Cup runners-up Turkmenistan, which kicks off at 3:30pm, and Sunday’s match at the same time against the hosts to guarantee progression to the finals in a year’s time in the Maldives.

Cambodia head coach Prak Sovannara told the Post earlier in the week that he’d seen the Brunei clash as their only real chance of a result during the campaign.

The top teams of each of the five qualifying groups receive berths to the tournament proper, while the best two runners-up will also join them along with the host nation.

Myanmar, Kyrgyzstan, Afghanistan and Palestine all secured their places in the finals by winning Groups A, B, C and D respectively.

Currently, the group runners-up in qualifying spots are Group C’s Laos on four  points and +2 goal difference, and Group A’s India on three points and +3 goal difference.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not