Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - C-League takes a break to honour the late King Father




C-League takes a break to honour the late King Father

C-League takes a break to honour the late King Father

2012-10-17T044811Z 454654461 GM1E8AH0YR001 RTRMADP 3 CAMBODIA-SIHANOUK

The 2013 Metfone C-League football season, which has so far run two weeks, takes a long breather until February 23 for two compelling reasons.

First and most poignant is the final week of mourning and funeral ceremony on February 4 for the country’s beloved King Father Norodom Sihanouk, who passed away in October.

Tens of thousands of people are expected to pour into Phnom Penh to show their respect and affection for the late King Father, who himself was a passionate sports lover and one of the biggest supporters of Cambodian sports.

Whatever the rationale behind  the Football Federation of Cambodia (FFC) advancing the league season from mid to late March to early January this year, there is this inevitable consequence of the country’s premier open tournament the Hun Sen Cup overlapping with the league schedule.

With the Cup quarter-finals filled with  league teams, the final phase of this coveted event takes precedence and occupies the second week of February during which the semi-finals and the final will be played. The league resumes a week after the Cup winds up.

The junior string of the top flight club Preah Khan Reach are set break new ground when the under-19s open their campaign in the Vietnam League for that age group today even as the Military Police-backed side takes a shot at the Malaysian FA Cup in the next couple of days before flying back for a Hun Sen Cup game against archrivals Phnom Penh Crown for a quarter-final place.

The Ministry of National Defence were relieved to know that the Disciplinary Committee singled out only two team officials, slapping them with two-match suspensions for the fracas over an off-side tainted goal in favour of National Police that eventually led to the MND players leaving the pitch.

As per the prevalent rules, MND were docked a three-goal penalty for defaulting the game, making it a 5-0 win for the Police, who led 2-0 at the time of the MND walkout, including that controversial goal.

A spokesman for the FFC said the committee, while acting on the  referee’s report, also considered all other aspects of the case with due dilligence before taking this punitive step.

“We have informed each and every club that protest walkouts will not be tolerated, and teams resorting to such extremes should bear the consequences of their action,” FFC spokesman May Tola told the Post.

To contact the reporter on this story: H S Manjunath at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,