Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cheng Rithy still No 1

Cheng Rithy still No 1

Cheng Rithy still No 1

090224_24b.jpg
090224_24b.jpg

Photo by:

VIRGINIE NOEL

Reachaksey Baba (blue trunks) swings a low kick at Cheng Rithy Sunday.

PHNOM PENH - Cheng Rithy weathered a fourth-round charge from Reachaksey Baba Sunday to earn the decision at TV5 Stadium in Phnom Penh. Reachaksey Baba, fighting from the Ministry of Interior boxing club, cut Cheng Rithy with an elbow early in the fourth, but he didn't have enough left in the fifth to defeat the number one ranked fighter at 54kg. The fighters had met twice previously, with Cheng Rithy from Salavorn Sports Club winning their most recent encounter after their first matchup ended in a draw. 

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not