Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chinese dominate Angkor marathon entries

Chinese dominate Angkor marathon entries

Participants take part in last year’s Angkor Empire Marathon.
Participants take part in last year’s Angkor Empire Marathon. Yeun Ponlork

Chinese dominate Angkor marathon entries

The fourth Angkor Empire Marathon and other added attractions like the 21km, 10km and 3km fun run will race through the breathtaking surrounds of the World Heritage Site of the Angkor Wat temple complex on August 6, with runners from the world’s most populous nation China heading overseas entries from 51 countries.

Responding to Cambodia’s major push this year to encourage Chinese tourists, over 700 runners from the Asian powerhouse have so far registered out of the 1,500, far outnumbering other nationalities.

“We expect a record turn out this year. We are very happy that Chinese runners will once again be present like last year in such a big way as we continue to promote this event as sports tourism diversity for the [low] season, when tourists numbers normally drop,” the secretary-general of the National Olympic Committee of Cambodia, Vath Chamroeun, told The Post yesterday.

“With the running course taking the participants back to the ancient wonders and monuments every yard of the way, this will be an unforgettable experience for every one taking part, not just in the marathon but in the supporting events as well,” Chamroeun said.

As in the previous editions, the proceeds from the event will go to charitable causes.

The marathon field will come under the starter’s orders well before the crack of dawn. The mass start is set for 4:30am in front of the main entrance to the temple complex.

The half marathon runners will be sent on their way at 6am, while the 10km participants take off at 6:15am, followed by the 3km fun run for people of all ages and abilities.

Since the marathon is to be run within two weeks before the start of the SEA Games in Malaysia, none of the national long distance runners will take part in the Siem Reap event.

MOST VIEWED

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials

  • Funcinpec ‘set to sell their headquarters’, says source

    An anonymous source from Funcinpec said acting president Prince Norodom Chakravuth had held a meeting with other officials to discuss selling several of the party headquarters across the country while the party president Prince Norodom Ranariddh receives medical treatment at the Royal Phnom Penh Hospital