Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - City fined for ‘international transfer of minors’




City fined for ‘international transfer of minors’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Manchester City escaped with a fine after FIFA investigated the transfer of minors. AFP

City fined for ‘international transfer of minors’

Manchester City have been found guilty by Fifa of breaking the rules on international transfer and registration of players aged under 18, world football’s governing body announced on Tuesday.

The Premier League champions could have faced a transfer ban, but instead Fifa’s Disciplinary Committee fined City 370,000 Swiss Francs ($379,000).

A Fifa statement said that the punishment “took into account the fact that Manchester City FC accepted its responsibility”.

While confirming they were willing to accept the fine, City claimed the problems occurred before Fifa clarified the rules.

The club said in a statement that the fine concerned “the international transfer of players under the age of 18, particularly in relation to their trial periods and participation in friendly games.”

“The club accepts responsibility for the breaches which arose as a result of misinterpretation of the regulations in question. All of the breaches occurred before December 2016 when guidance on the interpretation of the provisions was issued, since which date Manchester City has been fully compliant.”

Last year, Fifa cleared City of any wrongdoing over their 2016 signing of Benjamin Garre from Velez Sarsfield just after the Argentinian midfielder’s 16th birthday.

Also in 2018, two players from the Right to Dream football academy in Ghana, Sierra Leone’s George Davies and Ghanaian Dominic Oduro, told Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten that they signed for City and played in youth matches before they turned 18. Both spent two years at the club.

Davies last played for Riga FC and Oduro now plays for the Tampa Bay Rowdies in the US.

City are also being investigated by both the Premier League and the Football Association in England and by UEFA, the governing body of European football.

The FA said in February it was looking into allegations that City paid £200,000 ($256,000) to winger Jadon Sancho’s agent when the player was 14 and still at Watford.

FA rules state that young players cannot be represented by an agent until the year they turn 16.

Sancho later left City for Borussia Dortmund. He is now an England international.

Uefa is focusing on another area and investigating whether City has breached Financial Fair Play rules.

City’s English rivals Chelsea are currently serving a one-year transfer ban after also being found guilty by the body in February of breaching regulations relating to the recruitment of minors.

Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid have all served recent transfer bans for breaking Fifa rules on the issue.

MOST VIEWED

  • Tourists urged not to skip trip

    The Ministry of Tourism has called on international tourists not to cancel trips to Cambodia, but urged them to adhere to several dos and don’ts when arriving in the Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic. The ministry released an eight-point instruction manual on Wednesday published

  • The taxman cometh – Cambodia’s capital gains tax casts the net on individual taxpayers

    In a country where only limited personal income tax existed, the new taxation law beginning January 1, 2021, will make taxpayers out of Cambodians, whether they are ready for it or not About two years ago, a little known amendment was made to Article 7 of the Law

  • Cambodian-American gets Star Trek treatment

    Kevin Ung, a Cambodian-American whose family escaped genocide during the Khmer Rouge’s reign of terror, was recently selected from thousands of applicants to participate in the Television Academy Foundation’s inaugural 2020 Star Trek Command Training Programme, a course intended to give hands-on filmmaking experience

  • Cambodia seeks to be transport hub

    Cambodia is working on several fronts to modernise its transport infrastructure and services, concentrating on opening new international gates to relieve and balance traffic congestion at its borders, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Thursday. This is part of the Kingdom’

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped