Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CNVLD make a call for new national talent




CNVLD make a call for new national talent

CNVLD make a call for new national talent

Cambodia National Volleyball League Disabled (CNVLD) Secretary General Chris Minko expressed his sincere disappointment with the performance of the national standing volleyball team at the 2009 WOVD Volleyball World Cup, which saw them finish fourth, and announced a radical shake-up to help answer Prime Minister Hun Sen’s call for a gold medal.

Minko stated that it was time for a hardline attitude toward a team which, despite having competed in five World Cups since 2001 and achieving a best of third in the 2007 edition on home turf, has failed to reach its ultimate objective of World No 1.

The CNVLD Wednesday launched the “Call to Athletes with a Disability of the Kingdom of Cambodia” campaign, in which any candidate who wanted to assist their nation in the pursuit of the elusive title should contact the organisation immediately for trials to join new national league teams. These new players “will form the basis for an all-new Cambodian National Standing Volleyball Team,” according to Minko.

“Successful applicants will undergo a strict training programme under national coach Christian Zepp prior to the CNVLD 2010 international competition programme,” he continued, adding that a Goodwill Tour of Iran, an ASEAN Championship held in Cambodia, and the next WOVD World Cup in India had been confirmed. Applications to join the Cambodian national team are now being taken at the CNVLD office in Phnom Penh.

The CNVLD received a welcome financial boost from Prime Minster Hun Sen and wife Bun Rany this week, who had donated US$16,200 and 26 million riels to strengthen the organisation’s long-term plan of hosting more international sports events in the Kingdom, and help the national team become World champions.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • Passing the test: Is Cambodia’s education system failing its people?

    The Kingdom’s education system needs to grow its people but some flaws might stifle​ this growth Coming from the Khmer Rouge occupation, with the loss of many scholars and academicians and a collapsed government, the education system had to be reconstructed from scratch – one

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia