Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Crown wrap up search for future stars




Crown wrap up search for future stars

Crown wrap up search for future stars

Sunday afternoon saw the culmination of Metfone C-League champions Phnom Penh Crown’s nationwide search for the best young footballing talent. Forty boys under 13 years were selected to attend a weekend of further scrutiny in Phnom Penh following 17 trials in as many provinces last month.

The lads knew that 22 places were at stake at the new PPCFC Elite Football Academy. The club’s coaches, led by Academy Chief Bouy Dary, were assisted in the selection process by Graham McMann, chief scout with the Asia Pacific Football Academy in New Zealand, who partnered Crown in setting up the Academy, as well as former Chelsea manager Ken Shellito, who is a coach and analyst for the Asian Football Confederation in Malaysia.

The 22 boys who gained selection will spend the next two years getting high-quality football coaching every morning and attending Beltei International Institute in the afternoons, all funded by Phnom Penh Crown. They will live together at the club’s training headquarters in Tuol Kork in specially built dormitories, with intake commencing in January 2011. They will also get the chance to represent Crown in regional tournaments. The 18 boys that didn’t make the grade will also be invited to the academy  for coaching every few months.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.