Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ding defiant after falling short again at World Championship




Ding defiant after falling short again at World Championship

Chinese snooker superstar Ding Junhui was beaten 13-5 by English opponent Barry Hawkins in their World Snooker Championship quarterfinal. AFP
Chinese snooker superstar Ding Junhui was beaten 13-5 by English opponent Barry Hawkins in their World Snooker Championship quarterfinal. AFP

Ding defiant after falling short again at World Championship

Chinese snooker superstar Ding Junhui vowed he would be crowned world champion one day despite being outclassed 13-5 by English opponent Barry Hawkins in the quarterfinal of this year’s World Snooker Championship.

Ding, 31, looked far off the player who had been made the favourite to be crowned world champion after the first round exit of defending champion Mark Selby and then the second round departure of the five-time champion “Rocket” Ronnie O’Sullivan.

Hawkins, who beat Ding in 2013 on the way to a surprise appearance in the final where he lost to O’Sullivan, led 11-5 overnight and clinically rounded off the victory taking the first two frames on offer on Wednesday.

Indeed the 39-year-old Englishman finished with a flourish with a superb break of 117 – his second century of the encounter – to earn himself a semifinal spot for the fourth time in the past five editions.

I’ll never give up

However, Ding, whose best performance at the worlds is losing to Selby in the 2016 final, insisted that despite falling short he would eventually lift the trophy.

“I believe I can still win this one day,” he said at a press conference.

“I’ll always keep up my hopes and I’ll never give up. I’m a sportsman, I can’t give up.”

Ding, who had been magnificent in his second round match destroying promising Scotsman Anthony McGill 13-4, was philosophical about his underperforming against Hawkins.

“Some days you play well, some days are different,” said Ding.

“I tried to play well and score heavily but what can I say? It wasn’t working out there.”

Hawkins, who faces either two-time champion Mark Williams or Ali Carter in the semifinals, said Ding had perhaps wilted under the weight of expectation back in China.

“I punished him every time he made a mistake and when someone is doing that against you, it is easy to miss a few,” said Hawkins.

“I managed to keep him under pressure. And there is a lot of pressure on his shoulders too.

“Winning 6-2 last night was huge and I am happy to get over the line. I felt like he gave up at the end.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Hungarian exposes 90 to Covid in Siem Reap

    The Ministry of Health has discovered 90 people who have been exposed directly or indirectly to a Hungarian man infected with Covid-19. They all are required to quarantine at home and the hospital. The ministry is searching for other affected people. Among the 90, one is the

  • PM warns of ‘new Cold War’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the possibility of a so-called new Cold War has become a significant concern and that all countries have to reject outright, any attempt to allow history to tragically repeat itself. He made the remarks in a speech during 75th Session

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped