Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ezecom win Challenge




Ezecom win Challenge

Ezecom win Challenge

110607_23
Ezecom’s Kheav Panhrith (right) vies with Bayon Wanderers’ Francois Courtel during the 2011 Bayon Challenge at Old Stadium. Photo by: Sreng Meng Srun

Ezecom’s Kheav Panhrith (right) vies with Bayon Wanderers’ Francois Courtel during the 2011 Bayon Challenge at Old Stadium. Photo by: Sreng Meng Srun

Ezecom took top honours in the 10th Bayon Challenge International Football Tournament after a thrilling 2-1 penalty shootout victory over Hanoi Drink Team in the final at the Old Stadium on Sunday.

The teams were left goalless at the end of regulation time and the first set of three penalties failed to break the deadlock. However, Ezecom kept their nerve in the second batch to record their first major triumph on a football pitch.

At the end of the four-team group phase of the competition, the visiting Hanoi Drink Team topped the table with seven points followed by Apsara on six, Ezecom on 5, and Bayon Wanderers with none.

In the first semifinal, the team from Hanoi beat Bayon Wanderers 2-0, while Ezecom and Apsara played out a 0-0 draw, a repeat of their group clash. With pitch time at a premium, penalties were cancelled and the organisers decided that Ezecom deserved a place in the final. The third place playoff between Apsara and Bayon was also cut due to time constraints and will now be played at 2pm this Sunday at Old Stadium.

Controversy surrounding the previous choice of venue at the 7NG grounds had sparked late withdrawals from Saigon Saints and Wing with rights groups raising issues of land grabbing at the site. Four teams remained committed despite the debate still raging, with the organisers forced to switch back to Old Stadium for just a single day’s play as opposed to the traditional two-day affair.

“We are thankful for the support from all our sponsors like Phoenix Security, Tiger Beer, Coca Cola, Dan’s Meat, Dimensions UPVC Windows and Doors, SOS Medical Clinic and JBCF,” event organiser Billy Barnaart told the Post yesterday.

The 62-year-old Dutchman also expressed his intent to restore the Bayon Challenge to its former glory. “What happened is unfortunate. We will hold another tournament as good as the ones we have organised over the last 10 years,” he said, adding that next year’s edition would be slated for the first week of June.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hungarian exposes 90 to Covid in Siem Reap

    The Ministry of Health has discovered 90 people who have been exposed directly or indirectly to a Hungarian man infected with Covid-19. They all are required to quarantine at home and the hospital. The ministry is searching for other affected people. Among the 90, one is the

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • PM warns of ‘new Cold War’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the possibility of a so-called new Cold War has become a significant concern and that all countries have to reject outright, any attempt to allow history to tragically repeat itself. He made the remarks in a speech during 75th Session

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped