Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Faldo Series comes to Siem Reap

Faldo Series comes to Siem Reap

Faldo Series comes to Siem Reap

120830_24

Sir Nick Faldo addresses trainees at a golf clinic during the Handa-Faldo Classic at the Angkor Golf resort in March. Photograph supplied

Sir Nick Faldo and Siem Reap’s pride the Angkor Golf Resort, which carries his design imprint, will be the focus of world attention when the six-time Major winner unveils his highly acclaimed global golf development initiative for the first time in Cambodia on September 11-12.

Known popularly as the Faldo Series, the Cambodian leg, open to boys and girls in the age band of 12-21 years old and of all nationalities, will be contested over two rounds of 36 holes. The series is endorsed by the Asian Tour and the Asia Pacific Golf Federation.

Cambodia is pinning its hopes on the vastly talented Seng Van Seiha, who is among the 22 boys and girls from seven countries listed so far to compete in an event with a handicap range from 2 to 12. With nearly two weeks to go, there is scope for the field to expand.

Young hopefuls from Singapore, Indonesia, the US, Malaysia, Korea and Thailand join their Cambodian counterparts in search of qualifying spots for the Seventh Faldo Series Asia Grand Final, to be hosted by the Mission Hills Golf Club in Shenzhen, southern China, next March.

A surge of passion for golf in neighbouring Thailand is well reflected in the fact that the nation will be sending a strong squad of 13 golfers, all with low handicaps.

As a new addition, Cambodia is among the 15 countries hosting the 18 tournaments which make up the 2012/2013 Faldo Series Asia. Mainland China heads the list with four events with the other destinations including the Philippines, Taiwan, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Singapore, Brunei, Pakistan, India, Nepal, Malaysia, Japan, Indonesia and Thailand.

“Cambodia is a special place for me, so I am delighted to bring the series here and give opportunity to the country’s young golfers,” said Faldo in a statement made available to the Post.

“I thank Executive Director Holic Tandijono and his team at Angkor Golf Resort for sharing my vision. The Series is one of a number of charitable initiatives in the country that we are working on together.”

Tandijono said they were delighted to continue their “excellent relationship” with the British golfing legend. “We believe the Faldo Series can make a real difference to golf in Cambodia,” he said.

“We will introduce a strong grass-roots element to the event to help create access to the game for local children. Hopefully they will be inspired to take up the game and return one day as competitors themselves.’’

Meanwhile, AGR General Manager Adam Robertson told the Post yesterday that they were expecting an “exciting tournament” due to the high standard of the field.

“The response from junior golfers all over the world has been breathtaking, we are excited with the prospect of watching these young golfers compete to play in the grand final in China,” he added.

Established in 1996, 37 Faldo Series tournaments now take place in 27 countries worldwide with more than 7,000 golfers participating each year.

Golfers born in 1991 or later can download entry forms from www.angkor-golf.com. All participants will receive a player presentation pack courtesy of The Faldo Series.

To contact the reporter on this story: H S Manjunath at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,