Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - FFC scrap Super Four playoffs




FFC scrap Super Four playoffs

FFC scrap Super Four playoffs

110328_26b
Phnom Penh Crown won last year’s Metfone C-League title after coming fourth in the league. Photo by: Sreng Meng Srun

The Football Federation of Cambodia has scrapped the Super Four playoff, which determined the Metfone C-League champions last year, bowing to demands from the majority of participating teams to stick to the time-tested practice of having the league winners taking home the title.

“We are doing away with the playoffs. The team emerging at the top of the league table [at the end of the season] will get the champions tag,” May Tola, Deputy Secretary of
the FFC, said to The Post on Saturday.

Most of the top tier teams said they preferred a straightforward league format, arguing that the Super Four imposed additional burdens on their squads already under strain from tough competitive conditions.

In the last two years, the playoffs had caused major heartache for the frontrunners in the league, with wild form swings occurring in the postseason.

In 2009, Phnom Penh Crown finished at the top of the heap at the end of the regular season, but were banished to fourth place in the playoffs with two successive defeats. Naga Corp, who had finished fourth in the league, bounced back to claim the title.

Last year the roles were somewhat reversed again, with Naga Corp going into the playoffs as league leaders but failing to emerge as champions as Phnom Penh Crown waltzed through to grab the honours after coming fourth in the table.

Meanwhile at the FFC’s annual general meeting on Saturday, General Secretary Ouk Sethycheat, who had resigned from his post for personal reasons some time ago, was elected as a member of the executive committee.

“The president has not yet named a successor to Mr Setheycheat,” May Tola said.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.