Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fighters, ALLN make CBL semifinals



Fighters, ALLN make CBL semifinals

EJFs’ David Sanders (two) goes for a jump shot as a Team Respeck player attempts a block. Photo supplied
EJFs’ David Sanders (two) goes for a jump shot as a Team Respeck player attempts a block. Photo supplied

Fighters, ALLN make CBL semifinals

Top ranked Extra Joss Fighters and their closest challengers ALLN Confucius Supermen had a smooth passage to the semifinals of the Cambodian Basketball League after scoring second straight wins in the best of three quarterfinal playoffs at the Olympic Stadium Indoor Arena on Saturday.

Last year’s runners-up Fighters extended their winning streak this season to 12 games after brushing aside Team Respeck 94-66 with Tomar Santos (15 points) and Kelechi Njoku (14) leading the charge. David Sanders and Serrano Jasper chipped in with 10 points each as the Fighters led every quarter of the game.

Team Respeck showed greater heart in their fight second time around but that was not good enough to contain the free-wheeling Fighters who led 46-31 at half time. After a low-scoring second quarter on both sides, Team Respeck did very well in the third aided by Johnson Kim (15) and Virak Chea (eight) to come out even at 22 apiece but the Fighters, enjoying a healthy lead, regained control of the final quarter to widen the victory margin.

In the second fixture, the ALLN Supermen swarmed all over Smart Dragons handing them a 80-28 blow-out. The Supermen were so overbearing that the Dragons were forced to single digit scores in the first two quarters and drew a complete blank in the fourth.

The Supermen, who suffered their only loss in the round robin to the Fighters, were served well in the offense by Meng Hama (17) and Aimar Sabayo (12).

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year