Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fighters hit back to force basketball final fling

Fighters hit back to force basketball final fling

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Extra Joss Fighters beat Master Steak 108-100 to force a decider in the CCC Summer Basketball Tournament. Photo supplied

Fighters hit back to force basketball final fling

Beaten 71-78 in the first of the three-game finals a fortnight ago, Extra Joss Fighters produced their A-game in the must-win second to down Master Steak 108-100 earlier in the week to force the issue to Saturday’s decider in the CCC Summer Basketball Tournament.

The showdown tips off at 5pm with the Fighters desperate to break a jinx that has seen them crash out of three major finals over recent years.

Master Steak have their own demons to overcome. After winning the first game the side lost the next two allowing Smart Dragons to capture the Chitato Chips tournament. They are anxious to avoid a similar fate against the Fighters.

Nilo Candidato for the Fighters and Steak’s Fredjie Portades scored 27 points each in a game that was often held up due to score board errors from table officials.

Then came a bizarre twist when the table officials lost the accurate count in the heat of the contest.

From the Fighters being 41-37, the officials took the unusual step of revising the scores to 38-38, prompting the Fighters coach to threaten to walk out.

While the Fighters lost the initiative, Steak built up a seven-point half-time lead.

After the break, the Fighters regrouped and young Humphrey Gabriel dunked twice in quick order as he pushed his tally to 25 points.

The Fighters kept charging with Humphrey, Candidato and Sander giving the side a slender third quarter edge.

Steak ran into a strong Fighters defensive wall in the final quarter, cutting out the freewheeling Aimar Sabayo’s under basket threats.

With less than two minutes to go, the Fighters led by 10 points to make sure they live to fight the title decider.

“It will be good to finish on a high,” Gadaffi told The Post as the Fighters big man is set to retire after the finals.

MOST VIEWED

  • First deportees of the year touch down in Cambodia

    Twenty-five Cambodian-Americans landed in Phnom Penh on Wednesday, marking the first such deportations of the year. “On Wednesday, US law enforcement authorities deported 25 Cambodian nationals that immigration judges determined had no legal basis to remain in the US,” said Arend Zwartjes, spokesperson for the US

  • Qatar Airways to connect Doha and Siem Reap town

    Qatar Airways Company QCSC has announced a new route connecting Qatar’s capital Doha with Siem Reap, a move hailed by local officials as a significant step to boost tourist numbers. A Qatar Airways representative, speaking at the Kuwait Aviation Show, announced on Thursday that

  • Sokha defence denies Tech’s claims

    ON DAY two of Kem Sokha’s treason trial, lawyers for the government said the defence had raised questions in an attempt to allow their client to make a public statement and a conclusion to the case, something his legal team denied. Ky Tech, a

  • Cambodian general visits Myanmar to enhance national defence cooperation

    Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) commander-in-chief Vong Pisen is now in Myanmar leading a delegation that aims to improve ties, particularly in national defence, with the fellow Asean member. The timing of Pisen’s four-day visit to the Southeast Asian neighbour is highly symbolic, with

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Sokha’s treason trial begins

    The treason trial of Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) president Kem Sokha began at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Wednesday with the presentation of a two-minute video clip. The footage, which was the basis of the charge against him, was dismissed by