Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Former world champion Bingham out, Robertson struggles




Former world champion Bingham out, Robertson struggles

Stuart Bingham chalks his cue during the World Snooker Championship final with Shaun Murphy at The Crucible in Sheffield on May 4, 2015. AFP
Stuart Bingham chalks his cue during the World Snooker Championship final with Shaun Murphy at The Crucible in Sheffield on May 4, 2015. AFP

Former world champion Bingham out, Robertson struggles

Stuart Bingham became the third former or current world snooker champion to go out in the first round of this year’s championships as he was beaten 10 frames to seven by qualifier Jack Lisowski.

Another former world champion, Australia’s Neil Robertson, is also in trouble, the 2010 winner trailing English journeyman Robert Milkins 6-3 ahead of the concluding session on Wednesday.

Milkins, 42, could be on course to repeat what is probably the finest performance of his career as he beat Robertson at a similar stage in the 2013 edition.

Bingham joins defending champion Mark Selby and 2005 world champion Shaun Murphy as big names to have failed to get over the first hurdle.

The trio’s departures will boost the chances of the likes of quintuple champion Ronnie ‘Rocket’ O’Sullivan and Chinese star Ding Junhui, who are both safely into the second round.

Lisowski never faltered after taking only a one-frame lead, 5-4, into the final session in what is only his second appearance at The Crucible Theatre in Sheffield.

The 26-year-old Englishman, who went out in the first round on his debut in 2013, displayed the kind of form that saw him reach the semi-finals of The Shanghai Masters last year.

Bingham kept snapping at Lisowski’s heels but the latter went from 7-6 up to win two frames in succession and although his opponent made it 9-7 the world number 30 kept his nerve to seal his place in the second round.

“It was a great win for me,” said Lisowski.

“Stuart’s won this tournament before and is one of the best players in the world, so to come here and win after five years ago being so disappointing, it shows that my game has improved.

“It’s such a tough setup to play in if you’re not used to it, but five years have passed and I was able to cope with it a lot better this time.”

Lisowski will play the winner of the clash between Scotland’s quadruple world champion John Higgins and Thailand’s Thepchaiya Un-Nooh which gets underway later on Wednesday.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman