Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - German FA bans coach for utilising fake papers



German FA bans coach for utilising fake papers

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Werder Bremen's new headcoach Markus Anfang walks in the Weserstadium after a press conference as he is presented as new headcoach of Werder Bremen on June 6, 2021. AFP

German FA bans coach for utilising fake papers

A German football coach was on Wednesday banned from football for a year and fined €20,000 ($22,564) after admitting he used fake documents to claim he was fully vaccinated against Covid.

Markus Anfang was sacked by second-division club Werder Bremen last November after it emerged he and his assistant coach, who was also fired, had both used forged certificates.

The pair had also attempted to deceive the local health authority in order to avoid quarantine as contact cases.

Anfang’s former assistant Florian Junge has also been banned for 10 months and fined €3,000 by the German Football Association (DFB).

“Markus Anfang and Florian Junge have contravened their role-model positions as coaches to a considerable extent through their actions,” said Hans E Lorenz, chairman of the DFB sports court.

As the pair both confessed, their bans are partly on probation to enable them to coach next season.

According to the DFB statement, Anfang and Junge “each obtained a forged vaccination certificate in the summer of 2021, which incorrectly identified them as ‘twice vaccinated against the coronavirus’”.

They handed over fake certificates to Werder, “so that from early autumn onwards they no longer took part” in the club’s regular testing programme.

In addition, they both presented a forged vaccination card to Bremen’s health authority in order to dodge quarantine as contact cases after Bremen defender Marco Friedl tested positive.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Siem Reap’s Angkor Botanical Garden opens

    The Angkor Botanical Garden was officially opened on May 19 with free entry for both local and international visitors for the first six weeks. The garden was established on a nearly 15ha plot of land in Siem Reap. “After the first six weeks, Angkor Botanical Garden

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub

  • Hun Sen: Don’t react to hostility

    Prime Minister Hun Sen urged tolerance and thanked members of the Cambodian diaspora for not reacting to the hostility on display towards him by others while he was in the US to attend the May 12-13 ASEAN-US Special Summit in Washington, DC. In an audio