Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Golovkin seeks record-tying win against Canelo fill-in



Golovkin seeks record-tying win against Canelo fill-in

Gennady Golovkin (left) and Vanes Martirosyan pose for a photo during a media workout at the Glendale Fighting Club in California on April 23. AFP
Gennady Golovkin (left) and Vanes Martirosyan pose for a photo during a media workout at the Glendale Fighting Club in California on April 23. AFP

Golovkin seeks record-tying win against Canelo fill-in

Undefeated Gennady Golovkin defends his three major world middleweight titles against fill-in foe Vanes Martirosyan on Saturday with boxing history and a possible rematch with Canelo Alvarez on the line.

“Triple G” tries to stretch his reign, which began in 2010, to 20 fights and equal Bernard Hopkins for the longest title run in middleweight history when he faces Armenian-born American Martirosyan.

“[It means] a lot. I feel like a star,” Golovkin said on Monday. “If you check Bernard Hopkins, my record is much bigger, much stronger. This is a good situation for my career, for my fans.”

Golovkin, 36, was set for a Las Vegas pay-per-view showdown on the Mexican Cinco de Mayo holiday against Alvarez, a rematch of their thrilling draw last September.

But the Mexican tested positive for the banned substance clenbuterol and dropped out of the bout four weeks ago.

“He was extremely frustrated and disappointed when the positive test was announced,” said Golovkin promoter Tom Loeffler.

“He had been training for the biggest fight in boxing and it was a big shockwave when it came.”

Alvarez is banned until August but hopes to fight again on September 16, another Mexican holiday, and maybe against Golovkin. Asked about fighting Alvarez next if he retains his titles Saturday, Golovkin said: “Maybe. Why not? I want activity.”

If not Alvarez, then British southpaw Billy Joe Saunders, whose World Boxing Organization middleweight crown is the only one not held by Golovkin, and Ukraine’s Sergiy Derevyanchenko, Golovkin’s mandatory next International Boxing Federation challenger, would be likely next rivals.

‘This is what we dream about’

But Golovkin made it clear he wants to break the record championship middleweight run, saying: “Next fight, I’m looking in the middleweight division. It’s best for boxing and for us.”

Golovkin, 37-0, with one draw and 33 KOs, surrenders a height and reach advantage to the light-middleweight contender who is moving up in class.

“I’m not a big guy. If I’m shorter, don’t care,” Golovkin said. “This is boxing. I know my style. I know my fight. I think it’s more stronger. My style is more interesting.

“He’s a good fighter. I remember him from 2004 Olympic Games. He has good experience. I believe this is a good show for people and a big fight for us.”

Martirosyan, 36-3 with one drawn and 21 knockouts, turned 32 on Tuesday ahead of the biggest fight of his career after a two-year layoff, having had several bouts fall through before getting a break for the biggest fight of his career.

“I took the fight on short notice but we’re ready,” Martirosyan said. “You could wake me up and I’d be ready to fight. I can’t wait. This is what we dream about, these big fights.”

Golovkin trainer Abel Sanchez said his fighter was in the ring only a couple of hours after Alvarez was out, confident of another opponent and planning for two more fights this year, Alvarez or not.

“Hopefully we fight in September and again in December. We want to fight as much as we can as long as we can,” Sanchez said.

“He’s the most entertaining boxer in the sport today. We need to appreciate him while he’s here.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Full country reopening to be decided in two weeks

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced that if the Covid-19 situation remains stable for 15 consecutive days from the end of the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, Cambodia will reopen fully, albeit in the context of Covid-19 whereby people have to adjust their lives to

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Hun Sen: Cambodia set to fully reopen

    Prime Minister Hun Sen concludes that the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, during which many people either flocked to their hometowns for family reunion or gathered at tourist attractions across the country, has not caused an outbreak of Covid-19. In a special address to

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Cambodia seeks probe into 'false reports' on Hun Sen's alleged Cypriot passport

    Minister of Justice Koeut Rith on September 6 wrote a letter to his Cypriot counterpart Stephie Dracos requesting cooperation in investigating and providing the truth in relation to the "exaggerative and false allegations" that Prime Minister Hun Sen holds a Cypriot passport. In his letter, the