Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Hamilton, Mercedes bring their ‘A game’ for quick Chinese GP fightback

Hamilton, Mercedes bring their ‘A game’ for quick Chinese GP fightback

Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton raises the third place trophy on the podium at the Bahrain Grand Prix at the Sakhir circuit in Manama on April 8. AFP
Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton raises the third place trophy on the podium at the Bahrain Grand Prix at the Sakhir circuit in Manama on April 8. AFP

Hamilton, Mercedes bring their ‘A game’ for quick Chinese GP fightback

Lewis Hamilton goes for a record sixth Chinese Grand Prix win this week with Mercedes aiming to bring their “A game” for a quick strike back at unbeaten Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel.

Germany’s Vettel and Ferrari stole a march on the Silver Arrows with victory in Australia to open the Formula One season and followed up with a tense triumph last weekend in Bahrain.

Both Vettel and Hamilton are chasing a fifth world championship, but the Englishman has easily been the most successful driver in the 14-year history of the race at the Shanghai International Circuit with five wins.

Another triumph will help Mercedes get back on track after early season blunders that prompted a bout of hand-wringing in the team.

“This is not the start to the 2018 season we had hoped for,” said Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff this week.

“There is absolutely no margin for imperfections or mistakes in this year’s title fight. In order to win this year, we need to bring our A game.”

In Australia, the combination of a virtual safety car intervention and a software bug deprived defending world champion Hamilton of victory.

While a five-place grid penalty due to a gearbox change and communications problems in Bahrain hampered the Englishman from charging for victory in the race.

Valtteri Bottas and Hamilton still managed to take second and third place for Mercedes.

No margin for error

“We’re quite happy that this is a back-to-back race as that means that we won’t have to wait long to get racing again,” said Wolff.

“Shanghai has been a good track for us in the past.” Mercedes have won five times in the last six Chinese Grands Prix, with Fernando Alonso in 2013 recording the last Ferrari victory in Shanghai.

Mercedes need to counter the early-season pace and form of Vettel, who somehow managed to last 39 laps on severely worn tyres in Bahrain to take a 17-point lead in the standings ahead of Hamilton.

The 33-year-old four-time world champion admitted earlier this week he had little idea how or why Ferrari had been able to outperform Mercedes. “I am thinking and wondering,” said Hamilton.

“My thoughts are already on the world championship – I’ve lost two races in a row now and I am 17 points down after just two races.

“Hopefully, when we go to China for the next race, we will have a better understanding of the tyres and put up a better fight against Ferrari.”

He will be hoping Red Bull’s young star Max Verstappen stays out of his way after a collision which put the Dutchman out of the race and prompted Hamilton to call him a “dickhead” straight after.

Vettel raised eyebrows by being first to leap to Hamilton’s defence. “It’s not fair. I don’t know what Lewis did, but we’ve all been in that situation.

“We are just racing, we are full of adrenalin and we say these things.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong