Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Japan’s Honda admits ‘mistakes and failures’



Japan’s Honda admits ‘mistakes and failures’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Japanese superstar Keisuke Honda has been the general manager of Cambodia’s national team since 2018. AFP

Japan’s Honda admits ‘mistakes and failures’

Globe-trotting Japan star Keisuke Honda admitted to “mistakes and failures” as he pitched up in Azerbaijan’s league, but refused to give up on playing at the Tokyo Olympics.

The 34-year-old midfielder, who spent three and a half years at Italian giants AC Milan, signed for Azerbaijani outfit Neftci until the end of the season on Monday, having been without a club since leaving Brazil’s Botafogo in December.

It is quite a change in fortunes for Honda, formerly a mainstay of the national team and the first Japanese player to score at three World Cups.

Honda, who has already played for clubs in seven different countries including Mexico, Australia and Russia, said he “didn’t have any options” after a February move to Portugal fell through because of transfer regulations.

“I made a lot of mistakes and failures – that’s why I’m here,” Honda, his trademark bleach-blond crop grown out into an unkempt mane, said at an online press conference from Baku.

“Everyone said to me: ‘Why don’t you go back to Japan to play?’ [But] it’s not interesting for me any more. I’m maybe a weird person, but that’s me,” he said, adding that he likes to “challenge new things”.

But Honda, who retired from Japan’s senior team in 2018, believes he can still force his way into the squad for this summer’s coronavirus-delayed Tokyo Olympics.

“Nothing is impossible, but it’s not an easy situation for me,” said the attacking midfielder, who hopes to be chosen as one of three overage players in Japan’s under-24 squad.

“I haven’t been selected so far so I have to show the head coach of the national team I play good here. I have ambition to show I play good again here. I think it’s possible.”

And Honda also shrugged off suggestions that his role as general manager of Cambodia’s national team, which he took up in 2018, will interfere with his playing career.

“I manage my time with the great people who work on the Cambodian national team project,” he said.

“First, I can just spend a lot of time as a player, and second I spend time on the Cambodian project with great people . . . It’s not difficult to manage the time.”

Honda said playing for Neftci is his “priority for now”, but refused to speculate on his plans beyond the Azerbaijan Premier League season, which ends in late May.

“I never felt that I would come to Azerbaijan when I started playing soccer.

“I didn’t expect when I started playing football that I would play in eight countries. But now, to be honest, I really want to play in more countries,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a