Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Key South African bowler Rabada banned for two Tests



Key South African bowler Rabada banned for two Tests

South African fast bowler Kagiso Rabada was banned on Monday for the two remaining Tests against Australia after being found guilty of “inappropriate and deliberate physical contact”. AFP
South African fast bowler Kagiso Rabada was banned on Monday for the two remaining Tests against Australia after being found guilty of “inappropriate and deliberate physical contact”. AFP

Key South African bowler Rabada banned for two Tests

South African fast bowler Kagiso Rabada was banned on Monday for the two remaining Tests against Australia – and admitted that he would have to change how he celebrates wickets.

Rabada was found guilty of “inappropriate and deliberate physical contact” with Australian captain Steve Smith after dismissing Smith in the first innings.

He was fined 50 percent of his match fee and issued three demerit points after a disciplinary hearing following his denial of the charge.

That took his total of points after three previous offences to eight and triggered an automatic two-Test ban.

“It’s going to have to stop,” he said. “I’m letting the team down and letting myself down.”

He was speaking after a man of the match performance in South Africa’s six-wicket win in the second Test against Australia, but before the verdict from the International Cricket Council was announced.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) immediately announced they had 48 hours to appeal the decision and were seeking legal opinion.

CSA said Rabada would remain suspended unless a judicial commissioner was appointed early and allowed him to play pending a final decision.

Rabada accepted a second charge after a send-off of David Warner in the second innings and received a further fine of 15 percent of his match fee and an additional demerit point.

Match referee Jeff Crowe said: “I found that there was contact between Rabada and Smith, and in my judgement the contact by Rabada was inappropriate, and deliberate.

“He had the opportunity to avoid the contact, and I could not see any evidence to support the argument that the contact was accidental.

“It is also disappointing that this has happened the day after the pre-match meeting I had with both teams, where the importance of respect for opponents was highlighted.”

Rabada said he would need to avoid getting into close proximity with opponents.

“I won’t change the way I express myself but I will get far away from the batter,” he said.

Rabada said he had contested the charge on the Smith incident because he believed he had not made deliberate contact with Smith’s shoulder, which his captain Faf du Plessis described as “a shirt flick”.

“If I knew I did it deliberately, I wouldn’t have contested it,” said Rabada. “Honestly, I didn’t feel contact in that moment. I was just so pumped up.”

Rabada said it was different from the case against him when he gave Ben Stokes of England a send-off in a Test at Lord’s last year, which resulted in a single demerit point which added to a previous three points ruled him out of the next Test.

“With the Stokes incident I didn’t contest it because I knew I did it,” he said.

He described his emotions as “bittersweet” after one of his best Test matches.

Anticipating the ban, he said: “I would have loved to be playing in the next game, especially coming off a performance like that. I felt really good in this Test match.

“If I do get banned I will have to see it as a big learning curve and not repeat the same mistake because I’ve repeated the same mistake in the eyes of the umpires. I’m not happy about it.”

The ICC also announced a 20 percent fine and one demerit point for Australia’s Mitchell Marsh, who accepted a charge of using “obscene or offensive language” after being dismissed by Rabada on Monday.

MOST VIEWED

  • NY sisters inspired by Khmer heritage

    Growing up in Brooklyn, New York, Cambodian-American sisters Edo and Eyen Chorm have always felt a deep affinity for their Cambodian heritage and roots. When the pair launched their own EdoEyen namesake jewellery brand in June, 2020, they leaned heavily into designs inspired by ancient Khmer

  • Cambodia records first Omicron community case

    The Ministry of Health on January 9 reported 30 new Covid-19 cases, 29 of which were imported and all were confirmed to be the Omicron variant. The ministry also reported 11 recoveries and no new deaths. Earlier on January 9, the ministry also announced that it had detected the Kingdom's

  • The effects of the USD interest rate hike on Cambodian economy

    Experts weigh in on the effect of a potential interest rate expansion by the US Federal Reserve on a highly dollarised Cambodia Anticipation of the US Federal Reserve’s interest rate hike in March is putting developing economies on edge, a recent blog post by

  • PM eyes Myanmar peace troika

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has suggested that ASEAN member states establish a tripartite committee or diplomatic troika consisting of representatives from Cambodia, Brunei and Indonesia that would be tasked with mediating a ceasefire in Myanmar. The premier also requested that Nippon Foundation chairman Yohei Sasakawa

  • Kampot tourism quay ‘90% done’

    Construction on Kampot International Tourism Port – a 4ha quay in Teuk Chhou district about 6km west of Kampot town – has fallen off track, reaching 90 per cent completion, according to a senior Ministry of Tourism official last week. The project is now planned to be finished

  • Demining rat ‘hero’ Magawa dead at 8

    A landmine-hunting rat that was awarded a gold medal for heroism for clearing ordnance from the Cambodian countryside has died, his charity said on January 11. Magawa, a giant African pouched rat originally from Tanzania, helped clear mines from about 225,000sqm of land – the equivalent of 42