Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KTM replace Zarco with Kallio for end of season

KTM replace Zarco with Kallio for end of season

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Johann Zarco crashed his KTM into another KTM, ridden by Miguel Oliveira, at Silverstone in August and did not finish the race. AFP

KTM replace Zarco with Kallio for end of season

The KTM MotoGP team abruptly ended their troubled relationship with Johann Zarco on Tuesday saying they would replace the French rider with Finnish veteran Mika Kallio for the Aragon Grand Prix this weekend.

“We want to express gratitude to Johann for his effort since he joined our ambitious project in November last year,” KTM motorsport boss Pit Beirer said.

Zarco joined the Austrian team before this season but had struggled to adapt.

The team announced in August that they had granted his request to terminate his contract after this season, saying it was the rider’s decision.

The 29-year-old Zarco finished 11th in the San Marino Grand Prix on Sunday while the other KTM rider, Spaniard Pol Espargaro, was seventh. With six races left, Espargaro is 11th in the overall standings with 77 points, Zarco, the most successful Frenchman in the history of MotoGP is 17th with just 27. Zarco’s best result is 10th place in Catalonia in June.

Zarco was world champion in Moto2 in 2015 and 2016. He made a promising start in MotoGP for Yamaha satellite Tech3 with three podium finishes and two pole positions in both 2017 and 2018, finishing sixth in the final standings both years.

The team said it needed to focus on the development of its bike.

“We have to make decisions to ensure that we use our resources in the best possible way and we are currently in a positive direction with our MotoGP structure,” said Beirer.

“We firmly believe that Mika can help us in this stage thanks to his knowledge and background.

“It is paramount that we verify our testing results in real race conditions to start our 2020 season in the best position.”

Kallio is KTM’s official test driver and has solid experience in lower categories with 16 victories and 49 podiums.

Zarco did not comment on Tuesday and has given no indication what he plans to do next season.

“KTM will continue supporting him until the expiry of our contract at the end of 2019 and we truly wish him all the best for his future,” the team said, adding that they were in no hurry to decide who would ride for them in 2020.

“We now have to think of the future and are making this step accordingly.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the