Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Men’s Futures dropped for ITF Junior event



Men’s Futures dropped for ITF Junior event

Tep Rithivit (left) has said the time has come to harness Cambodia’s young tennis talent.
Tep Rithivit (left) has said the time has come to harness Cambodia’s young tennis talent.

Men’s Futures dropped for ITF Junior event

After a successful five-year run, Tennis Cambodia has decided to drop the triple-leg $10,000 ITF Men’s Futures Series this year in favour of holding the Kingdom’s first ever Grade 5 ITF Junior Circuit event for boys and girls at the National Training Center, from October 24-29.

Since entering the ITF tour in 2011, Cambodia has emerged as one of the most popular pro-circuit stops in the region, which each year attracts better quality players.

Its unique timing between the third week of November and the first two weeks of December, as the last of the series to grab ranking points before the crucial Australian Open qualifiers, had also given the Cambodian series added significance.

While sponsor support for the Futures had been quite steady over the last five years, Tennis Cambodia’s shift of focus from men’s to juniors is seen as more strategic than driven by concerns over waning sponsorship interests.

“We took great pride in bringing the ITF men’s event to Cambodia before we had the honour of playing in the Davis Cup. Our organisational excellence, hospitality and spectacular tourism prospects have all added to Cambodia’s international appeal.

“But it is time for the reassessment of our priorities in terms of the game’s growth,” Tep Rithivit, secretary-general of Tennis Cambodia, said yesterday.

“The time has come to harness our young talent. The grassroots programs that we put in place years ago are beginning to bear fruit, and the only way to develop these talents is to create an international platform for our juniors,” he said. “Our long term vision is to create a pathway for these youngsters to step up to the national team.

“This creates a steady flow of good players and healthy progression to fill our national slots.

During the week-long event, seven Cambodian juniors are likely to be given wild cards for the qualifiers.

“Our senior players will be looked after like they have always been. We place great importance on our Davis Cup campaigns. But alongside this, we need to produce a good stock of juniors, some of whom can get world rankings and move up in the ladder,” Rithivit said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants