Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - MMA star Jones hit with $205,000 fine and licence revoked over drugs test

MMA star Jones hit with $205,000 fine and licence revoked over drugs test

MMA star Jon Jones elbows Daniel Cormier during their UFC 214 event bout at the Honda Center on July 29 in Anaheim, California. AFP
MMA star Jon Jones elbows Daniel Cormier during their UFC 214 event bout at the Honda Center on July 29 in Anaheim, California. AFP

MMA star Jones hit with $205,000 fine and licence revoked over drugs test

Mixed martial arts star Jon Jones was fined $205,000 and had his fighting license revoked on Tuesday following a hearing in front of the California State Athletic Commission.

Ultimate Fighting Championship ace Jones tested positive for the steroid Turinabol following an in-competition test ahead of his win against Daniel Cormier last July.

The 30-year-old light-heavyweight was subsequently stripped of his title and his win over Cormier was later declared a no-contest.

It was the third time Jones has been stripped of his title.

He lost the crown in 2015 following a hit-and-run incident and was stripped of it a second time following an anti-doping violation in 2016.

Jones’s career is now hanging in the balance, with further sanctions expected from the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), which could suspend him from fighting for four years for a second offence.

Jones told Tuesday’s hearing that he believed he had ingested the steroid in his most recent case inadvertently through a supplement.

The fighter’s defence team, however, were unable to pinpoint the supplement blamed for the test.

CSAC executive Andy Foster said he believed Jones story, telling the hearing “it doesn’t make any sense” that the fighter would knowingly take steroids while in competition.

“I want to be very clear that I do not believe that we should end Mr Jones’s career today,” Foster said. “But I do believe he should sit out for a while.”

Jones issued a statement following the hearing.

“I want to thank CSAC for taking the time and hearing my case, and executive officer Andy Foster for saying he believes me,” he wrote on Twitter.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen to ‘step down’ if he loses Sam Rainsy bet over Kem Sokha

    Hun Sen has promised to step down as prime minister while opposition figure Sam Rainsy pledges to turn himself in as forfeits if the long-term political rivals lose a “bet” over the future of former opposition leader Kem Sokha, who is on bail awaiting trial

  • UAE prince seeks to invest in Cambodia

    The UAE has expressed interest in Cambodian oil and gas exploration. Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem said this was the result of his discussions with Sheikh Ahmed bin Dalmook bin Juma al-Maktoum, a member of the royal family who visited him on Wednesday.

  • Smith calls for ‘release’ of Sokha as visit ends

    At a press conference to conclude her 11-day visit to Cambodia, UN Special Rapporteur for Human Rights in Cambodia Rhona Smith on Thursday called for treason charges against former opposition leader Kem Sokha to be dropped and for him to be released from “restricted detention”.

  • PM denies ‘nepotism’ claims

    Prime minister Hun Sen denied on Thursday that nepotism was involved in the recent promotions of the children of senior government officials. He said they had been “trained” and were entirely capable of carrying out their duties while being open to “punishment” like anyone else.