Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - MMA star McGregor released on $50K bail after New York assault




MMA star McGregor released on $50K bail after New York assault

Irish mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor looks on in court in New York on Friday. AFP
Irish mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor looks on in court in New York on Friday. AFP

MMA star McGregor released on $50K bail after New York assault

Irish mixed martial arts superstar Conor McGregor was released on $50,000 bail on Friday after being hauled before a US judge on assault and criminal charges over a frenzied attack on a bus of rival fighters that injured two athletes.

The 29-year-old, nicknamed “The Notorious,” was filmed lobbing a trolley through a window of the bus in a New York stadium at the end of a media event on Thursday. The bus was moving slowly through the Barclays Center loading dock at the time.

The Irish father of one was also captured on surveillance throwing a chair towards a passenger window of the bus and punched a member of a security detail, his Brooklyn arraignment heard Friday.

Two athletes were wounded, forcing them to be pulled from the upcoming UFC 223 card, the Ultimate Fighting Championship confirmed.

Lightweight Michael Chiesa sustained facial cuts and flyweight Ray Borg multiple corneal abrasions.

“I’m devastated to say the least,” tweeted Chiesa.

McGregor spent Thursday night in a Brooklyn police station, after surrendering, and was escorted to a criminal court in handcuffs.

He stood before a judge in jeans, saying nothing except: “Yes, your honour.”

The judge set bail at $50,000 in a package that allows McGregor to travel without restriction. His next court date was set for June 14.

“He’s the most visible face on the planet. He has no criminal history and the bail package is completely appropriate,” McGregor’s lawyer Jim Walden told the court.

UFC President Dana White told ESPN that no decision would be taken on McGregor’s lucrative UFC career until after this weekend’s fight card, and denied that Thursday’s fracas had been an elaborate publicity stunt.

“Conor is in a lot of trouble. Obviously, the big question everybody’s been asking me is: ‘Are you firing Conor McGregor?’” White told the broadcaster. “This is bigger than Conor McGregor getting fired. There are so many more moving pieces to this thing.”

‘Most disgusting thing ever’

“This is the last stunt on Earth that we’d ever pull,” he said. “This is embarrassing for the sport and obviously for the UFC.”

McGregor was charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief. Fellow MMA fighter Cian Cowley, 25, was hit with one count of assault and one count of criminal mischief. Bail was set for Cowley at $25,000.

White accused the Irish star and other men of “storming the building” on Thursday.

“They got down to the loading docks where the fighters were getting on the buses and attacked them, throwing trash cans, dollies, things like that,” White said. “Broke one of the windows, cut Michael Chiesa real bad.”

White called it “the most disgusting thing that has ever happened in the history of the company,” and warned that McGregor would likely face legal action.

“As you can imagine, he’s going to be sued beyond belief,” White said.

The Irishman reportedly pocketed around $100 million for the superfight he lost in August in Las Vegas against ex-welterweight champion boxer Floyd Mayweather.

Their matchup was one of the richest boxing bouts of all time.

It was not clear what triggered Thursday’s alleged assault, but it appeared to be linked in part to the UFC’s decision to strip McGregor of his world title.

McGregor reportedly turned up unannounced at the end of the UFC 223 press event.

On Wednesday, White said the UFC would take back McGregor’s lightweight title.

McGregor reacted angrily to the decision on social media. “You’s’ll strip me of nothing,” he tweeted, invoking an expletive.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could