Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Olympic qualifiers moved from virus epicentre in China




Olympic qualifiers moved from virus epicentre in China

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
China's women's team had been due to play 2020 Olympic qualifiers in Wuhan but the matches will be moved from the Chinese city at the centre of a virus outbreak (AFP Photo/Jung Yeon-je)

Olympic qualifiers moved from virus epicentre in China

Boxing and women’s football qualifying for the 2020 Olympics will be moved from the Chinese city at the centre of a virus outbreak to another location in the country, the organising bodies said on Wednesday.

Wuhan was supposed to host China, Taiwan, Thailand and Australia for the Group B Asian women’s football qualifiers February 3-9 and the Asia/Oceania boxing tournament from February 3-14.

The Asian Football Confederation said in a statement its tournament will be held on the same dates in the eastern city of Nanjing.

It said the change was proposed by the Chinese Football Association.

The International Olympic Committee Boxing Task Force said that the local organising committee had cancelled its event “amid growing concerns in relation to the coronavirus outbreak reported in the city”.

They said that the various sports bodies involved would “explore alternatives”.

Boxing was almost excluded from the 2020 Olympic programme after a series of scandals. The amateur boxing body Aiba was stripped of the right to organise the Olympic competition and replaced with the special task force.

Seventeen people have died and at least 500 have been infected with the severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars)-like coronavirus that has spread around China, with the vast majority of cases reported in Wuhan.

A seafood market that sold wild animals is the suspected source of the outbreak.

The coronavirus has caused alarm for its similarity to Sars, which killed nearly 650 people across mainland China and Hong Kong in 2002-2003.

Cases have also been reported outside China, in countries including the US, South Korea, Japan and Thailand.

Even before the announcement about the postponement of the football qualifiers, Taiwan’s football association had warned it would withdraw from the matches if they were held in Wuhan, saying that “the safety of players is our top priority”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Tourists urged not to skip trip

    The Ministry of Tourism has called on international tourists not to cancel trips to Cambodia, but urged them to adhere to several dos and don’ts when arriving in the Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic. The ministry released an eight-point instruction manual on Wednesday published

  • The taxman cometh – Cambodia’s capital gains tax casts the net on individual taxpayers

    In a country where only limited personal income tax existed, the new taxation law beginning January 1, 2021, will make taxpayers out of Cambodians, whether they are ready for it or not About two years ago, a little known amendment was made to Article 7 of the Law

  • Cambodian-American gets Star Trek treatment

    Kevin Ung, a Cambodian-American whose family escaped genocide during the Khmer Rouge’s reign of terror, was recently selected from thousands of applicants to participate in the Television Academy Foundation’s inaugural 2020 Star Trek Command Training Programme, a course intended to give hands-on filmmaking experience

  • Cambodia seeks to be transport hub

    Cambodia is working on several fronts to modernise its transport infrastructure and services, concentrating on opening new international gates to relieve and balance traffic congestion at its borders, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Thursday. This is part of the Kingdom’

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped