Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - O’Sullivan in ‘Mr Angry’ clash in bitter World Championship exit

O’Sullivan in ‘Mr Angry’ clash in bitter World Championship exit

Ronnie O’Sullivan crashed out of the World Snooker Championship after a 13-9 defeat to Ali Carter on Saturday. AFP
Ronnie O’Sullivan crashed out of the World Snooker Championship after a 13-9 defeat to Ali Carter on Saturday. AFP

O’Sullivan in ‘Mr Angry’ clash in bitter World Championship exit

Ronnie O’Sullivan appeared to deliberately barge into Ali Carter as the five-time winner crashed out of the World Championship in a bitter 13-9 defeat on Saturday.

O’Sullivan snapped in the 19th frame of the second-round match at Sheffield’s Crucible Theatre.

The 42-year-old had just fluked a snooker when he and Carter collided at the side of the table in a flashpoint that defined the match.

Carter walked away without reacting and had a slight smile on his face.

But once back in his seat, O’Sullivan was heard to tell Carter: “That’s for being Mr Angry.”

He followed that jibe by telling Carter it was his turn to play, sparking Carter to respond: “Thank you very much – very nice of you.”

“Stop being angry then,” said O’Sullivan, whose shock defeat leaves him without a world title since 2013.

Referee Paul Collier intervened and said: “Right fellas, just play on”.

O’Sullivan then said he was “cool as a cucumber”.

O’Sullivan trailed 11-9 at the mid-session interval, but he had been off his game for most of the match and was unable to fight back.

Carter’s acrimonious triumph earned him a quarterfinal meeting with Mark Williams or Robert Milkins.

Carter, who has twice overcome cancer and suffers from Crohn’s disease, admitted he was determined not to let the slanging match with O’Sullivan distract him from finishing off the win.

‘Not a limbo dancer’

“I just thought: ‘Listen, I’m not intimidated by Ronnie like a lot of other players are. I’ve been through harder things than that in my life’,” he said.

“He barged me but, I’m sorry, I’m not going to be bullied by anyone.

“It would have been easy for me to sit back in my chair and be like: ‘I’d better be the little boy in the corner.’ But no, it was my day today and I’m delighted.”

O’Sullivan was asked whether he would apologise to Carter.

“I don’t think there’s anything to apologise about. There’s no hard feeling there,” he said.

Asked if he thought he might be fined by disciplinary chiefs, O’Sullivan added: “I don’t really know. They can send a letter to my lawyer and they can happily deal with it.

“Have you never been angry in your life? We all get angry sometimes. If someone’s going to shoulder-barge into me, do I have to walk around him, tiptoe or do a little curtsy as if he’s the Queen? Sometimes you have to stand your ground. I’m not a limbo dancer you know.”

MOST VIEWED

  • PM to vet NY holiday dates

    The Ministry of Economy and Finance submitted a letter to Prime Minister Hun Sen asking him to formally set a five-day national holiday from August 17-21 to make up for the Khmer New Year holiday in April that was postponed. Finance minister Aun Pornmoniroth sent

  • Cambodia rejects UN rights claim

    Cambodia's Permanent Mission to the UN Office in Geneva on Friday hit back at David Kaye, the UN special rapporteur on the Promotion and Protection of the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression after he raised concerns over the repression of free speech and

  • Snaring may spawn diseases

    The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) has warned that snaring of animals has become a crisis that poses a serious risk to wildlife in Southeast Asia and could spawn the transmission of zoonotic diseases to humans. Its July 9 report entitled Silence of the Snares: Southeast Asia’

  • Ex-party leader, gov’t critic named as secretary of state

    A former political party leader known for being critical of the government has been appointed secretary of state at the Ministry of Rural Development, a royal decree dated July 9 said. Sourn Serey Ratha, the former president of the Khmer Power Party (KPP), told The Post

  • Residence cards set for over 80,000 immigrants

    The Ministry of Interior plans to grant residence cards to more than 80,000 immigrants to better keep track of them. The ministry announced the plan on July 10, following the results of an immigration census. “An inter-ministerial committee and many operational working groups have been set up

  • Kingdom produces PPE gear

    Medical supplies from Cambodia have been donated to member countries of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) to assist in the fight against Covid-19, said an ADB report published on July 9. The report stated that the supplies were donated as a response to global efforts to

  • Kingdom, US vow stronger ties

    At an academic forum on Saturday to celebrate 70 years of Cambodia-US diplomatic ties, Cambodian researchers and officials expressed hope of encouraging US investments and for that country to deepen and improve its bilateral relations. Held at the Royal Academy of Cambodia, it reviewed the past 70

  • Fifteen Cambodians from Saudi get Covid-19

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday confirmed 15 more imported cases of Covid. The 15 men ‒ all Cambodian aged 21 to 33 ‒ arrived from Saudi Arabia on Friday via a connecting flight in Malaysia. They were travelling with 79 other passengers, three of them women. The ministry said 80 of the

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea