Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Overhauled Super Rugby kicks off with promise of ‘the best’




Overhauled Super Rugby kicks off with promise of ‘the best’

Overhauled Super Rugby kicks off with promise of ‘the best’

Super Rugby’s latest incarnation kicks off this weekend with event boss Andy Marinos vowing the slimmed down tournament will deliver a “competitive and compelling” spectacle to end years of criticism.

By dumping the unwieldy 18-team, four-conference championship in favour of a more streamlined 15 teams in three conferences, Marinos has pledged a five-nation club tournament “that promises to deliver the best versus the best.”

“With the hard decisions to re-structure Super Rugby behind us we can now look forward to a stronger tournament,” said Marinos, chief executive of Super Rugby’s controlling body Sanzaar [South Africa, New Zealand, Australia and Argentina Rugby], which also includes Japan.

The Canterbury Crusaders, the most successful team in the history of the 22-year-old tournament, are again fancied to be contenders in the finals.

They beat the Golden Lions 25-17 in South Africa in last year’s final, and are the only side to travel overseas to win the Super crown, a feat they have achieved twice.

“It’s what Crusaders do,” said coach Scott Robertson, attributing the success to the proud history of the club who have made the semifinals 17 times and gone on to make 12 finals, winning eight of them.

“We created opportunities to create history.”

But while Marinos talks of a stronger tournament, the impact of injuries and the requirement in New Zealand to make players available for All Blacks’ training camps could have a telling effect.

Australian sides in particular will be looking to be more competitive after introducing a new fitness and conditioning programme, following a disastrous 2017 season when the Brumbies, with only six wins from 15 matches, were the best performing side.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • Capital set to beef up security

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng held the first meeting of the year with heads of armed forces in the capital to review and repair the deficiencies related to gun control, drug crimes, social order disruptions due to alcohol consumption and traffic law enforcement. Municipal