Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Oz Davis Cup captain slams new format




Oz Davis Cup captain slams new format

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Lleyton Hewitt, the Australia Davis Cup captain. AFP

Oz Davis Cup captain slams new format

AUSTRALIA Davis Cup captain Lleyton Hewitt has slammed Barcelona football star Gerard Pique over the tournament’s controversial new format, saying it is “ridiculous” and would hurt the sport.

Under a plan proposed by Pique’s investment group Kosmos and adopted by the International Tennis Federation, the competition will bring together 18 nations for a week at the end of the tennis season for a championship finale.

The 119-year-old Davis Cup competition is currently structured around a 16-nation World Group, contested over four weekends during the year. The remaining countries are then divided into three regional zones.

“I haven’t been a supporter since they first flagged the possible changes,” Hewitt said ahead of Australia’s Davis Cup qualifier against Bosnia and Herzegovina in Adelaide starting on Friday, Adelaide’s the Advertiser newspaper reported on Tuesday.

“I think it really hurts Davis Cup . . . In terms of the structure and format in going into the finals I don’t agree at all with it.

“I think having the finals in one place is ridiculous. I personally don’t think all the top players will play.

“Now we’re being run by a Spanish football player . . . that’s like me coming out asking to change things for the Champions League – it’s ridiculous.”

Hewitt has previously slammed the new-look competition as a “money-grab” that would ruin the historic event, with other Australian tennis legends including Rod Laver and John Newcombe also opposing the reforms.

Kosmos have promised the International Tennis Federation up to $3 billion in prize money over the next quarter-century.

Major players feel that a big event in late November combined with one in January before the Australian Open will mean too much tennis and too little rest.

Roger Federer has said his chances of playing in the condensed Davis Cup were all but non-existent, while Novak Djokovic has said he will give precedence to the ATP’s intended re-launch of the defunct World Team Cup in January 2020 at various Australian venues.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Hun Sen: Lakes filled in for national developments

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced continued operations to fill some lakes in Phnom Penh to create land for developments, though he is against the unrelated practice of damming rivers or blocking waterways. Speaking at the inauguration of the Ministry of Public Works and Transport

  • Local media loses a giant, and The Post a great friend

    Cheang Sokha, a gifted and streetwise reporter who rose to the highest ranks of Cambodian media and was beloved for his sharp intelligence, world-class humour and endless generosity, died on Friday in his hometown of Phnom Penh. He was 42. His wife, Sok Sophorn, said he

  • Koh Preus upgrades 70% complete

    Initial construction of a nearly $30 million tourism infrastructure project on Preah Sihanouk province’s Koh Preus Island is “about 70 per cent complete”, according to an official with the developer. Heng Thou, construction site manager of Angela Real Estate Co Ltd (ARE), told The Post that