LOCAL mobile phone company Cellcard has indicated they will once again sponsor the Phnom Penh Post’s fantasy football league for the upcoming 2010/11 season, which kicks off on August 14. Cellcard awarded a US$20 phone voucher and Cellcard T-shirt to the winners of the 38 gameweeks throughout the last season as well as a 3-G phone to the overall winner, Brenda Wade with her team AV Cambodia.
Wade currently resides in England, and decided to give her prize to her son’s fiancée Poch Sokny – nicknamed Nith – who collected it from the Cellcard office Friday.
“I’m delighted to have managed to win such a wonderful prize for [my son’s] fiancée, Nith,” stated Wade by email. “I have followed Aston Villa for many years, and currently my favourite player is James Milner, who was a very good signing for my team.
“Other players who did very well for me over the season include Drogba and Malouda of Chelsea, Rooney of Man United and Defoe of Spurs, who I was fortunate enough to have as captain when he scored five goals in one match against Wigan.
“I think winning a prize like this involves a bit of skill, a lot of luck and choosing players who are at the top of their form,” she continued. “I would like to thank the Phnom Penh Post and Cellcard very much and I hope the league has another successful season next year.”
Cellcard intend to offer similar prizes for successful fantasy managers again this coming season. However, due to some unsporting practices by participants in the previous campaign, some new rules will be introduced to maintain the spirit of competitiveness. The provisional 2010/11 season rules are as follows:
1. Participants must register their team with the Phnom Penh Post once it is setup on the fantasy league website and before a winning gameweek. Registration must be made by email to [email protected], supplying team name, manager’s name, real life full name and contact phone number. Thus, teams can still enter the league anytime throughout the season but must register before a winning gameweek if they want to claim a prize. Managers who have not registered will also not be quoted in the regular Phnom Penh Post (and CTN) reports.
2. Individuals can register as many teams as they want as long as a different phone number is registered for each. In the terms of the website, it is forbidden to enter more than one team per email address.
3. Individuals may donate their prizes to a person of their choice providing the benefactor’s phone number is registered. There are no charges for entry or registration.
4. In order to make the league more competitive, gameweek winners will not be allowed to transfer more than 4 players in a week. If the winning gameweek team features more than 4 transferred players, the manager will be denied the prize, which will be awarded to the next highest total.
5. Phnom Penh Post and Cellcard employees will not be allowed to collect any prizes but will be mentioned in reports, so need to register and declare their employment status.
6. In the event of a tie of highest scores in a gameweek, each manager will collect a US$10 phone voucher and T-shirt. In the event of a tie in the overall season competition, the manager that was in the highest position the previous week/s will be awarded the grand prize.