Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police storm to Hun Sen Cup final



Police storm to Hun Sen Cup final

Police storm to Hun Sen Cup final

Neither the rain-drenched pitch nor the energetic opposition posed a problem for National Police as they scored a goal in each half to ruin Angkor Tiger’s biggest moment so far at Olympic Stadium on Sunday evening.

Police beat outsiders Build Bright United in the final to win the cup for so far the only time in 2014.

Midfielder Noun Borey showed great improvisation to come up with the opening goal. With no room to take aim at with his right foot, he quickly dragged the ball to his left and found the top corner with a firm shot.

That 32nd minute goal spurred on the Tigers to fight harder, but Police never gave up control nor did they miss a chance to counterattack.

Ol Ravy produced a cross of quality for the advancing Lun Chamroeun to head the ball home for the winner.

The final between Ministry of National Defense, who edged out Naga during extra time on Saturday, and Police will be played at Olympic Stadium on October 6.

Vathanaka out of squad

Injury-hit Chan Vathanaka of Boeung Ket and Visakha defender Rous Samoeun, who is on the mend following knee surgery, were left out of the 23-member Cambodia squad along with vastly experienced Khun Laboravy and young Ministry of National Defense goalkeeper Um Sereyroth for an international friendly with Malaysia on September 10.

In releasing the make-up of the squad, the Football Federation of Cambodia shed very little light on how deeply involved in the selection process the newly named head coach/general manager Keisuke Honda played since he is away in Australia playing for club side Melbourne Victory.

According to federation sources, the former AC MIlan star and a Japanese household name had been familiarised with the squad of players to add to his personal knowledge of some of them.

At the time of his appointment, the FFC had indicated that Honda would lean on his Argentine friend Gonzalez Dalmas to carry out routine coaching work on his behalf while he kept track of the proceedings via regular video conferences.

So far there is no word on how the arrangement is working out, but an FFC source familiar with the subject indicated to The Post on Monday that Honda will make an appearance at the friendly.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting