Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Putin’s World Cup likened to Hitler Olympics




Putin’s World Cup likened to Hitler Olympics

Russian President Vladimir Putin delivers a speech during an awards ceremony at the Kremlin on Tuesday for Russian medallists at the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Paralympics. AFP
Russian President Vladimir Putin delivers a speech during an awards ceremony at the Kremlin on Tuesday for Russian medallists at the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Paralympics. AFP

Putin’s World Cup likened to Hitler Olympics

British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson agreed on Wednesday that President Vladimir Putin would exploit the 2018 football World Cup in Russia as Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler did the Berlin Olympics.

Johnson agreed with an MP who suggested that “Putin is going to use it in the way Hitler used the 1936 Olympics”, as a propaganda exercise.

“I think the comparison with 1936 is certainly right,” the minister replied, envisaging Putin “glorying in this sporting event”.

The comments came amid an escalating war of words between Russia and Britain over the poisoning of a former Russian double agent on British soil earlier this month.

Johnson also called for Russian guarantees over the safety of England fans at the World Cup.

‘Unfair to punish the team’

However, he stressed the British government had no plans to stop the England side travelling to the World Cup, telling MPs: “On balance, it would be incredibly unfair to punish the [England] team”.

Hitler wanted the 1936 Games to be a symbol of Aryan supremacy and famously didn’t shake hands with American star Jesse Owens, the black track and field athlete who won four gold medals in Berlin.

Relations between London and Moscow are in crisis over the March 4 nerve agent attack on a former Russian spy in Britain, which the UK is blaming on the Kremlin.

Britain has expelled 23 Russian diplomats and Moscow has responded in kind – but Johnson said they had kicked out the UK official set to be tasked with the fan safety portfolio.

“You can’t imagine anything more counterproductive to the UK’s ability to help fans in Russia, so there is an issue – there is a discussion,” he added.

“My challenge to the Russian authorities is to show that the 24,000 UK applicants for tickets to the football World Cup are going to be well treated, are going to be safe. It is up to the Russians to guarantee the safety of England fans going to Russia.”

‘Look after our fans’

Johnson insisted Britain was doing all it could to ensure the safety of England fans and had been coordinating with the Russian police in recent months.

“At the moment, we are not inclined actively to dissuade people from going because we want to hear from the Russians what steps they are going to take to look after our fans,” he said.

England are due to play Tunisia in Volgograd on June 18, Panama in Nizhny Novgorod on June 24 and Belgium in Kaliningrad on June 28 in their Group G matches.

At the 2016 European football championships in France, England fans were attacked by Russians in Marseille, ahead of a match between the two teams and in the stadium itself.

The clashes left 35 people injured, including two England fans who suffered serious injuries.

The Russian team was given a suspended disqualification and the country’s national football federation was fined.

MOST VIEWED

  • Seven positive for Covid-19, Hun Sen confirms local transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen announced that there has been local community transmission of Covid-19. However, he urged the people not to panic even though the Ministry of Health announced the discovery of seven new cases on Sunday. Among the victims are Chhem Savuth, the director-general

  • Without shoes or a helmet, a young cyclist steals the show

    Pech Theara gripped the curved handlebars of his rusty old bike, planted his bare feet on its pedals and stormed as fast as he could towards the finish line. The odds were against him as the 13-year-old faced off against kids with nicer bikes at

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway on schedule

    The construction of the more than $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has not been delayed despite the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 26 per cent of the project completed and expected to finish in about two years, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • PM vows to protect Hun family

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has vowed to continue his fight against opposition politicians who he said intend to smash the Hun family. Without naming the politicians but apparently referring to former leaders of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Hun Sen said there