Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Red Bull launch new car ahead of F1 season



Red Bull launch new car ahead of F1 season

Red Bull have unveiled their new car for the upcoming 2018 Formula One season. Red Bull Racing via Twitter
Red Bull have unveiled their new car for the upcoming 2018 Formula One season. Red Bull Racing via Twitter

Red Bull launch new car ahead of F1 season

Red Bull unveiled their new car for the 2018 Formula One season on Monday, well before the start of preseason testing, as the team looks to challenge for a first championship in five years.

The main changes to this year’s model, the RB14, are the introduction of the protective halo and new exclusion zones that effectively remove wings at the rear.

“Installing the Halo has been a challenge – mostly in terms of building a chassis strong enough to accommodate it and pass a brutal homologation test – but the rest of the regs have been comparatively stable,” Red Bull said.

“That’s the primary reason we’re able to launch earlier than usual.”

The car was presented with a temporary black and blue paint scheme, with the team’s official racing livery set to be revealed at next week’s testing sessions in Barcelona.

The Renault-powered cars will again be driven by Dutchman Max Verstappen and Australia’s Daniel Ricciardo, who took the new model for a spin at Silverstone on Monday.

The Milton Keynes-based Austrian manufacturer had in previous years delayed their car launch until just before the start of testing to maximise the time for development.

“It serves a purpose, but you wouldn’t do it if you didn’t have to – and this year we didn’t have to,” explained Red Bull, who finished third in last year’s constructors’ championship behind Mercedes and Ferrari.

“It’s preferable to finish the car early and deal with any snags now, when the car is on a track a short drive from the factory, rather than using up one of our eight ultra-precious test days doing the same at the Circuit de Catalunya.”

The first of two four-day preseason testing sessions starts in Barcelona this Monday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting