Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Renault target ‘continued progression’ with new F1 car

Renault target ‘continued progression’ with new F1 car

Renault launched their new Formula One car, the RS18, on Tuesday. Renault Sport F1 via Twitter
Renault launched their new Formula One car, the RS18, on Tuesday. Renault Sport F1 via Twitter

Renault target ‘continued progression’ with new F1 car

Renault will look to build on last year’s sixth-place finish in the Formula One constructors’ championship after launching their new car, the RS18, on Tuesday ahead of the 2018 season.

The French manufacturer is preparing for its third campaign following its return to the sport full-time in 2016, and will again count on Nico Hulkenberg and Carlos Sainz Jr to drive the team forward.

“The car is a progression and refinement of the concepts developed during the 2017 season. It includes an improved suspension concept and greater aerodynamic downforce,” Renault said.

The latest model, which retains its black and yellow colour scheme, includes the mandatory cockpit halo brought in this season to protect the drivers.

“Our headline target is to show continued progression through results,” said Cyril Abiteboul, the team’s managing director.

“Last year was successful in many ways. It was the second year in our rebuilding and a further step towards our long-term plans and aims.

“Over the past year I’ve seen progression in many areas: ninth to sixth in the standings – in many races we were often the fourth fastest team on the grid.”

He added: “We have everything to be positive about this year. We have two very talented and ambitious drivers.”

Spaniard Sainz, who joined from Toro Rosso four races from the end of last season, finished ninth in the overall standings a year ago, while Germany’s Hulkenberg came 10th.

The duo will be backed up by 22-year-old British-Korean reserve driver Jack Aitken, who takes the place of Sergey Sirotkin after the Russian rookie was handed a racing seat by Williams last week.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen to ‘step down’ if he loses Sam Rainsy bet over Kem Sokha

    Hun Sen has promised to step down as prime minister while opposition figure Sam Rainsy pledges to turn himself in as forfeits if the long-term political rivals lose a “bet” over the future of former opposition leader Kem Sokha, who is on bail awaiting trial

  • UAE prince seeks to invest in Cambodia

    The UAE has expressed interest in Cambodian oil and gas exploration. Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem said this was the result of his discussions with Sheikh Ahmed bin Dalmook bin Juma al-Maktoum, a member of the royal family who visited him on Wednesday.

  • Smith calls for ‘release’ of Sokha as visit ends

    At a press conference to conclude her 11-day visit to Cambodia, UN Special Rapporteur for Human Rights in Cambodia Rhona Smith on Thursday called for treason charges against former opposition leader Kem Sokha to be dropped and for him to be released from “restricted detention”.

  • PM denies ‘nepotism’ claims

    Prime minister Hun Sen denied on Thursday that nepotism was involved in the recent promotions of the children of senior government officials. He said they had been “trained” and were entirely capable of carrying out their duties while being open to “punishment” like anyone else.