Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ronaldo return vital to Juventus aspirations




Ronaldo return vital to Juventus aspirations

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Cristiano Ronaldo (second from R) has scored five goals in four straight away games. AFP

Ronaldo return vital to Juventus aspirations

CRISTIANO Ronaldo’s return to fitness could be vital to Juventus’s bid to end their Champions League drought going back 23 years as they head to Ajax on Wednesday with uncertainty over whether their superstar will play or not.

Ronaldo hasn’t played for the Serie A leaders – who are just one point away from sealing an eighth Italian league title – since scoring the sensational hat-trick that saw Juve come back from a 2-0 first-leg deficit to knock out Atletico Madrid last month.

He was rested in the subsequent 2-0 league defeat at Genoa and then picked up a thigh injury on international duty with Portugal two weeks ago.

But coach Massimiliano Allegri remains confident the 34-year-old will be ready for Wednesday’s game in Amsterdam.

“He [Ronaldo] always feels ready. We are confident of having him at Ajax on Wednesday,” said Allegri after Saturday’s 2-1 league win over AC Milan.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner joined his teammates for training on Monday and is expected to travel with the team to the Netherlands.

Portuguese teammate Joao Cancelo, himself recovering from a calf strain, believes that Ronaldo will be present.

“Cristiano’s training, he’s a serious professional. He has committed himself to do everything possible to be there and help the team,” right-back Cancelo told Sky Sport Italia.

“I really think he’ll be called up, after that we’ll see if he plays from the first minute or if he will come on later. The coach will decide.”

Ronaldo himself has given no updates on his injury, apart from a short video posted on his social media accounts, looking relaxed as he drove his car and singing along with his partner Georgina Rodriguez and son.

Psychological boost

Ronaldo’s presence would be a physiological boost for Juventus who signed the Champions League goal king for 100 million euros ($117 million) last summer and agreed to pay him a 31 million-euro annual salary to end their search for the title they last won in 1996.

Ronaldo is the only player to have won the title five times and is the record goalscorer in the competition with 124, including 15 last season.

The Italian champions were beaten finalists in 2015 and 2017, with Ronaldo on target for Real Madrid in the latter.

This campaign, Ronaldo was sent off in the opening group game against Valencia, with only one goal against Manchester United before his spectacular hat-trick against Atletico.

But he brings further energy and enthusiasm to the team.

Allegri predicted after last month’s two-goal defeat in Madrid that Ronaldo would pull them through in Turin, and he duly delivered.

“In matches of this kind he gets really excited and enthusiastic, having him gives us a great advantage,” Allegri said.

The Portuguese ace’s on-pitch performance had been unaffected by off-pitch concerns including an investigation of rape allegations against him in the US dating back to 2009 which he vehemently denies.

“This is why Juventus bought me, to help them in games like this,” said Ronaldo.

In the case of Ronaldo’s absence Allegri would most likely line up with Mario Mandzukic, Federico Bernardeschi and Paulo Dybala.

Teenager Moise Kean also offers Allegri a goal-scoring option as he has burst into the limelight in Ronaldo’s absence with five goals in as many league games.

Winger Douglas Costa also looks close to a return from a recurring muscle injury.

But Germany’s Emre Can, suffering from an ankle sprain, will miss the trip as Juventus and Ajax play for the first time in 16 years.

MOST VIEWED

  • Public warned of dengue risks amid rainy season

    Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng has issued an eight-point plan to destroy mosquitoes carrying dengue fever amid the rainy season. In a four-page directive, Bun Heng warned that while the number of dengue cases has dropped sharply compared to last year, it could increase

  • Thirteen charged in UK migrant lorry tragedy

    Thirteen suspects arrested by French police over the deaths of 39 Vietnamese migrants in a refrigerated lorry in Britain have been charged with people trafficking, a judicial source said on Saturday. Six of the group – mainly Vietnamese and French nationals – were held on Tuesday in the

  • Cambodian Blue Helmet dies of virus

    The last rites for Cambodian Blue Helmet peacekeeper Sar Savy, who died on Friday at 63 from Covid-19 while on a mission in the Republic of Mali, will be held on Wednesday and Thursday at the UN base there. Cambodia’s National Centre for Peacekeeping Forces

  • World Bank donates $15 million in aid

    The World Bank on Friday approved $15 million for a medical training system to help Cambodia equip doctors with more skills before they start work. The budget, which was granted by the International Development Association (IDA), is intended to improve health care services. The World Bank

  • Ministry signs MoU to develop ICT training

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Friday signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with IT Academy STEP Cambodia (STEP) to further develop the Sisters of Code project. The project trains female students in computer programming, and enhances information and communication technology (ICT) textbooks

  • Masseuse caught planting fake bills

    Four suspects were sent to Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Sunday for allegedly stealing money from a customer who had visited their massage parlour for a cupping session last Friday in Anlong Kgnan village, in Sen Sok district’s Khmuonh commune. District police chief Hour